QUICK SAUSAGE CASSOULET WITH GLUTEN FREE ENGLISH MUFFIN BREADCRUMBS! Super easy one-pot meal! It’s great for meal prep, a hearty breakfast, or a wholesome dinner!
- 2 –3 Gluten Free English muffins (toasted) – We used Udis Gluten Free Whole Grain English Muffins. You will need Extra, sliced, to serve with the dish.
- 2/3 cup chopped onion (shallot or red onion)
- 1 small yellow squash – sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or salted butter (divided)
- 12 oz gluten free chicken or pork sausage (pre cooked for quickest results)
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Salt/pepper to taste (at least 1/2 tsp each or more)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 large garlic cloves)
- Two 8oz stewed plum tomatoes (canned). Optional to keep juice.
- 1 large celery stalk (1/2 cup chopped)
- 2/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 20–25 oz (around 2.5 cups to 3 cups) canned Cannellini white beans, drained. See notes for best brand.
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 cup steamed greens (kale, swiss chard, or spinach work)
- optional parmesan to top (1/2 cup)
- Fresh Parsley to garnish.
- optional hard boiled or friend eggs to top each serving (optional)
- 2 Udis Gluten Free English muffins placed in food processor to make crumbs.
- Add Muffins to pan/dutch oven pot with 1 tsp oil or butter and 1 tsp Garlic powder.
- Toast in pot until browned (around 5 minutes).
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped bacon and 8 oz of diced gluten free sausage or chicken sausage to your pan.
- Fry until cooked or if using pre-cooked, just cook until bacon is browned.
- Remove and leave a little bacon grease in pan.
- Add more oil to pot and then add onions, all yellow squash, onion, greens, celery, garlic, and salt/pepper to taste. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add your sausage, broth, drained beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bring to a boil.
- Add thyme, 1 tsp dried oregano. Reduce and simmer 10 -20 minutes or until flavors combine and veggies are cooked. Taste and see if more seasoning is needed.
- Once the taste is to your liking, add your toasted English muffin breadcrumbs on top!
- Fresh Parsley to garnish. Optional parmesan to top!
- Spoon into bowls with half a toasted English muffin.
- OPTIONAL -> Add fried egg or whole hard boiled egg to each serving. Great source of choline and extra boost of protein.
- Extra salt/pepper/parmesan to taste.
- Keep in fridge for week or freeze for later. Store in air tight container.
- For authentic white beans (canned) we use Carmelina Brands Italian Cannellini Beans
- This make a great dish for summer or meal prep! Great with pre cooked chicken sausage or even vegetarian!
- Nutrition varies depending on sausage being used.
- Category: main, breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick sausage cassoulet, healthy casseroles, gluten free breadcrumbs, gluten free breakfast