Latin inspired paleo and whole30 breakfast lasagna
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil or clarified butter
- 3– 4 ripe plantains (sliced in half, lengthwise). Use 4 plantains for larger casserole dishes
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1+ teaspoon minced garlic (around 2 medium garlic cloves)
- 6–8 oz cooked chorizo sausage or smoked turkey or chicken sausage (omit for vegetarian)
- Optional – 2/3 cup riced cauliflower to make thicker filling
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce or 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning (see notes for substitutes)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped. Extra to garnish.
- 2 Tablespoons diced green olives
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons tomato sauce, unsweetened
- 5–6 eggs, whisked (use 6 for larger casserole dishes)
- Extra sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil an 8×11 baking/casserole dish. Set aside.
- Slice the plantains in half, lengthwise. Fry them on medium high in 1/2 tbsp oil (or butter) until golden brown. About 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In same pan add your chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, Adobo seasoning or sauce, plus cumin and smoked paprika. Saute until onion is fragrant. Around 3-4 minutes.
- Add sausage meat, tomato sauce, cilantro, olives, and apple cider vinegar. Mix all together. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Layer ½ of plantain in small casserole dish. Add meat and veggies. Layer again with rest of plantains.
- Add whisked egg on top. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and optional red pepper flakes.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, salt/pepper to taste.
- Slice and serve.
Optional add-ins to replace meat – 8 oz beans, ½ cup more chopped cauliflower or chickpeas.
If you don’t have adobo sauce or seasoning, you can use a spicy chili sauce (no additives) or make your own by combining 1 tablespoon tomato paste , 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (or smoked paprika/cayenne powder mix), 1/2 teaspoon cumin, a pinch of oregano, a pinch of garlic powder, and a pinch of salt.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving based on using sausage.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 33
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: Latin
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 300.7mg
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Cholesterol: 160mg
Keywords: breakfast, lasagna, whole 30, paleo, Puerto Rican, Latin