Make this Potato & Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie for a lower carb comfort food recipe that is ready in minutes for the perfect meal prep recipe or family dinner!
- 1 pound golden potatoes, diced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, steamed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5–6 Tablespoons almond milk (or non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage or turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari (or coconut aminos for a soy-free option)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Optional 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish, and add 2 Tablespoons of broth or water. Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6-8 minutes on high heat or until they are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the dish, and replace them with the cauliflower, microwaving for 3-4 minutes or until it is tender. (See notes)
- Place the potatoes and cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Add the oil, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Blend the ingredients until they are thick and well-combined. (*See notes)
- Remove the potato and cauliflower mixture from the blender, add salt and pepper to taste, and set it aside.
- In a large oven-safe pan, brown the turkey on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove the turkey from the pan, but keep the fat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan, and saute them on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to sweat and reduce.
- Add the turkey back into the pan with the tomato paste, molasses, tamari, smoked paprika, chill, and stir until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Cover the pan, and let the ingredients simmer for 5 minutes or until the turkey is thoroughly cooked. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Add the potato and cauliflower mixture on top of the meat, spreading it evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until the peaks of the potatoes turn golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool. Add parsley and cheese for garnish, if desired, and serve!
Make Ahead – Prepare the potato and cauliflower mash and the turkey and mushroom mixture ahead of time. When ready to eat, layer the ingredients, and bake them for 20 minutes. Just be sure to reheat the two layers separately before combining them to ensure they spread evenly!
For a microwave alternative, boil the potatoes and cauliflower separately on the stove top, and drain them completely.
No blender? Use a bowl to mash and mix the potato and cauliflower along with the milk and spices.
For a smoother potato and cauliflower mixture, add an additional 1-2 more Tablespoons of milk or broth.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/5th Pie
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 7.8 g
- Sodium: 312.1 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.3 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 22.3 g
- Cholesterol: 67.3 mg
Keywords: shepherd's pie, dinner, low carb, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, comfort food dairy free