Pink turnip pickles are a delicious anti-inflammatory condiment, made with turnips and beets. A great gut healthy snack, and perfect with meals like chicken shawarma too! Vegan, paleo, and Whole30. Fermented pickle version included.
- 12–14 ounces Purified Water
- Optional: 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar (for quick pickling)
- 1 small Red Beet, peeled and sliced
- 2 Turnips (about 1 pound), peeled and sliced
- Optional: Jalapeno, sliced lengthwise (Omit for nightshade free)
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
See notes for lacto- fermented pickled turnip option.
- Add beet, turnips, jalapeno (if using), and garlic to a heatproof jar or container. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring salt, sugar, bay leaf, and 12 ounces of purified water to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve salt and sugar. Turn off heat and let mixture cool down for 5 minutes, then stir in vinegar.
- Pour pickling liquid over the contents in the jar, and ensure that the turnip and beet slices are submerged completely in the brining liquid. Let it cool, then close the jar and place it in a dark area for 5 to 7 days. (see note 1)
- For best flavor, refrigerate before serving.
- Store in a covered jar or container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- The quick pickled technique for turnip pickles are normally ready within 4 to 5 days, but taste at day 4 for flavor and texture. Depending on the thickness of the slices, you may need to let them sit for an extra day or two.
- For Lacto-FERMENTED Pickled Turnips, skip the vinegar and use 2 cups of distilled at room temperature water along with remaining ingredients. No cooking involved. Submerge beets and turnips completely in the brining liquid. Close the jar and place it in a dark area for 10-14 days. Taste around day 6 to check progress.
- The garlic flavor really shines, and if you use jalapeno, you will definitely taste the kick of spicy heat.
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turnip pickles, pickled turnips, pink pickles, anti-inflammatory snacks, vegan, paleo, whole30, gluten free, grain free