Make this healthy pineapple coleslaw recipe for a sweet and tangy side dish or condiment for all your summer cookout needs!
- 1 cup diced pineapple and jicama (optional), reserve 2 Tablespoons pineapple juice
- 12 to 14 ounce bag (3 cups) shredded cabbage
- 3/4 to 1 cup red cabbage, divided
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw or shredded carrots
- 1/3 chopped red onion or 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions (1/3 cup) diced, top portion only
- 1/3 cup finely diced cilantro
- Optional – 1 diced jalapeno, seeds removed (see notes)
- 2 Tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup mayonnaise (paleo friendly), sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (see notes for vegan option)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash hot sauce (optional)
- Optional 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the pineapple, cabbage,1/2 cup red cabbage, broccoli slaw, onion, green onion, cilantro and optional jalapeño.
- In another small mixing bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, mayonnaise, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and optional hot sauce until creamy. Add to coleslaw mixture and toss to coat.
- Place coleslaw in the fridge for 3 hours or up to 12 hours to marinate and enhance flavor. Remove from the fridge, add the additional 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage (for crunch) and, if desired, 1 Tablespoon light olive oil. Toss again before serving.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Substitutes – For a vegan substitute to replace the mayo use ½ cup vegan buttermilk mixed with 2 Tablespoons hummus.
Prep Tips – If using a store-bought coleslaw mix and broccoli slaw make sure it is 20 ounces total slaw. For a creamier slaw, use ⅔ cup mayonnaise, sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- chill time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: n/a
- Category: Appetizer, Side, Condiment
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup made with mayonnaise
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 220.4 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 13.3 mg
Keywords: pineapple coleslaw, pineapple coleslaw recipe, coleslaw, pineapple