Gluten free peppermint chocolate muffins are full of rich chocolate and refreshing peppermint for an irresistibly delicious festive treat!
- 2 cups (200 g) fine blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup (40-45 g) dutch cocoa powder*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Tablespoons avocado oil or light olive oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/3 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, more for topping
- Optional Topping: crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin pan with liners or generously spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the oil, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Working in batches, add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Using a cookie dough scoop, pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling 3/4 full. If desired, top with additional chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candies.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Top each muffin with crushed peppermint candies, if desired.
- Once muffins are cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Substitutes – Use dairy free chocolate chips, if needed. Hot cocoa powder can be substituted for the sugar and cocoa powder – reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup and use 1/2 cup (86 g) hot cocoa powder (about 3 packets) for the cocoa powder.
Storage Tip – Once cooled, store muffins in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20-22
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 147.7 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 42.9 mg
Keywords: hot cocoa muffins, dark chocolate peppermint, gluten free breakfast, dairy free holiday recipe, healthy Christmas recipe