Pan Seared Salmon with Avocado Gremolata is a Whole30 compliant, healthy fish recipe. Making this crispy skin salmon requires just 7 ingredients and 10 minutes of cooking time! This is a quick, easy, kid-friendly meal that’s grain-free, gluten-free, low carb, paleo, and using oil instead of butter, it can be dairy-free, too!
- Salmon fillets (two 4-5 ounces each) or one larger 10 ounce salmon fillet (with skin preferred, see notes for skinless cooking times)
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil, avocado oil, or butter, for pan
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small avocado (ripe) or 1/2 large – diced, skin off
- 4 tsp dried parsley or 1/3 c fresh chopped
- 2 garlic cloves -minced
- 1/4 tsp Lemon pepper seasoning or peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3–4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice 1 of one lemon and slices to garnish
Before you begin – You can make the gremolata first before cooking, or quickly make it while the salmon is sitting after being cooked. It takes 2 minutes to make! Instructions below.
- First clean your fish fillets with fresh water. Pat dry on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add butter (or oil) and swirl until pan is covered or butter melted.
- Add the salmon fillets to the pan, flesh side down.
- Pan sear the salmon flesh side down for 3 minutes, then flip with a spatula or tons to sear the skin. If your goal is a super crispy skin, use a flat spatula to gently press down on the flesh until the fillet flattens out a little more, sealing the skin against the pan. When the flesh feels firm to the touch (3-5 minutes), the salmon is ready.
- Depending on the thickness of your fillet, the searing time could take longer. Check to make sure the inside is no longer pink but opaque.
- Remove pan from heat and cool the salmon in the pan for 2-3 minutes. The salmon should continue cooking (a tad) off the heat. Sprinkle the flesh side of the fillets with a little salt/pepper.
- Top with lemon and avocado gremolata, serve, and enjoy!
To Make avocado gremolata-
- Chop your avocado and herbs.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and let it marinate in the fridge while the salmon cooks.
- This recipe can be doubled to make 4-5 servings (3-4 ounces of fish per serving)
Optional spices to add on top -Pinch or chili pepper or cayenne for spice
- Prep Time: 4 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 272.3 mg
- Fat: 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 22.7 g
- Cholesterol: 48.3 mg
Keywords: pan seared salmon, crispy skin salmon, healthy fish recipe