Pan Seared Salmon with Avocado Gremolata is a Whole30 compliant, healthy fish recipe. Making this crispy skin salmon requires just 7 ingredients and 10 minutes of cooking time! This is a quick, easy, kid-friendly meal that’s grain free, gluten free, low carb, paleo, and using oil instead of butter, it can be dairy free, too!
- 2 salmon fillets (4–5 ounces) or one 10 ounce salmon fillet, skin on
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter or light olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small ripe avocado or 1/2 large, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning or peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced or 2–3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Rinse the fish fillets with water and pat dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter and swirl until pan is coated in melted butter.
- Add the salmon fillets to the pan, flesh side down (skin side up).
- Sear the salmon 3 minutes, then flip with a spatula to sear the skin. For super crispy skin, use a flat spatula to gently press down on the fish until it flattens a little, sealing the skin against the pan. When the flesh feels firm to the touch and the fish is no longer pink but opaque (3-5 minutes), the salmon is ready.
- Remove pan from heat and cool the salmon in the pan for 2-3 minutes. The salmon will continue cooking in the pan even when removed from the stovetop. Sprinkle the flesh side of the fillets with a little salt and pepper.
- Prepare the avocado gremolata by adding all the ingredients to a small bowl and gently mixing until combined.
- Top the salmon with the avocado gremolata, and serve.
Cooking Tips – The avocado gremolata can be prepared before cooking the salmon and stored in the fridge to marinate, if desired. To add some spice/heat to the salmon, sprinkle with red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Prep Time: 4 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 272.3 mg
- Fat: 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 22.7 g
- Cholesterol: 48.3 mg
Keywords: pan seared salmon, crispy skin salmon, healthy fish recipe