These Paleo Mongolian Beef Broccoli “Rice” bowls are quick to make, light, and full of flavor! Riced broccoli keeps this dinner paleo and gluten free.
- 1 lb beef sirloin (sliced thin, 1/4 to 1/3 in thick or buy already cut into strips)
- 1 tsp oil (avocado or sesame oil)
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch or potato starch (you can use cornstarch if you are not paleo)
- 1/4 c more starch for coating before frying meat
For the Mongolian Sauce:
- 1 tbsp avocado or sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c gluten free tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 beef broth or veggie broth
- Extra oil, as needed, for combining meat and sauce in pan
Remaining Ingredients to go in the bowls:
- 1 head broccoli. equals 3-4 c riced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Sesame seeds (you can also add Optional chopped cashews for the broccoli rice)
- Fresh chopped cilantro to garnish
- First prepare all your veggies. Slice your scallions and thai peppers (if you are following spicy version see notes). Mince garlic/ginger. Keep them close by. Slice meat into thin strips.
- Toss your meat in 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp starch. Place meat in a bowl or ziplock bag and marinade in fridge for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
To Make Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, add your 1 tbsp oil, garlic, and grated ginger. Stir fry until fragrant. If you are following spicy version, add 1 sliced thai red pepper while frying.
- Whisk together your 1/4 cup gluten free tamari soy sauce (I use san-j brand), broth, and coconut sugar. Add to sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer on low until thickened. Around 10 minutes or so.
- Heat a large skillet pan with 1/3 c oil. Lightly coat beef strips in extra 1/4 c starch, then place in pan to fry/sear. Fry in oil for about 1 minute each side. Browning the steak strips.
- Reduce heat then drain oil from pan or use slotted spoon to drain.
- Add your Mongolian beef sauce and cook with meat 1 min. Coating the beef evenly. Then set aside while you make the broccoli rice.
For Broccoli Rice:
- Cut your broccoli head into 3 to 4 parts. Place each into blender or food processor until all is “riced” texture.
- Place in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tbsp broth or water. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Lightly steam in microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute. (feel free to do this on stove if you don’t have microwave)
- Add garlic powder and chopped cashew to broccoli rice if desired.
To Assemble Bowls:
- Add 1/2 cup or more broccoli rice to bowls. Then place beef and sauce on top.
- Sliced scallion and red pepper flakes to top!
- Sesame seeds and optional coriander to garnish each bowl.
- If you want it extra spicy, add 1 sliced red thai pepper to your sauce or to beef when frying.
- Works great with coconut palm sugar or raw turbinado sugar.
- Honey will work in place of coconut sugar, but the beef will be more sticky.
- Nutrition shown is per bowl, with oil drained.
- *Use Reduced Sodium Gluten Free Tamari Sauce to Reduce Sodium by Half*
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: main, dinner
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 14.7g
- Sodium: 1095mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 30.1g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
Keywords: Mongolian beef, broccoli rice, gluten free Asian dinner, paleo Asian dinner