One Pan Lemon Sage baked Chicken with Olives is a flavorful paleo dinner ready in under 40 minutes.
For the Lemon Sage Sauce (Marinade)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 tsp ground sage)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp onion powder or 1/4 c chopped onion
- 1/3 c – 1/2 c olive oil. If you are using fresh onion, use the 1/2 c oil to blend more evenly
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt or fine sea salt
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard or honey mustard
- optional – lemon zest (1 tsp)
For the Pan:
- 1.15 lb skinless chicken thighs (see notes if using chicken breast)
- 30 grams (about 6–8 whole) pitted green olives
- 1/4 of onion, sliced
- Lemon slices to place on chicken
- Black pepper to taste
- Prepare your lemon sage marinade. In blender or food processor, blend together sage, lemon juice, lemon zest, onion, garlic, olive oil, seasonings, and mustard. The marinade should be creamy and smooth (see notes if don’t have food processor).
- Place cleaned/trimmed skinless chicken in large bowl or casserole dish.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs or chicken breast. Reserve a small amount of marinade for brushing chicken with marinade, once baked. (optional)
- Place chicken in fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. If you are using chicken breast, marinade for at least 1 hour in fridge first.
- After the chicken has marinated, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the marinated chicken and sliced onion in an oven safe skillet. Brown chicken and onion on medium high for 3 -5 minutes, flip chicken once while browning cooking. Remove from heat.
- Add the olives around the chicken and lemon slices on top of each piece of chicken.
- Season with pepper.
- Bake/Roast for 25 -30 minutes, checking internal temperature at 20 minutes to see progress. If you are using thick chicken breast, you might have to cook longer.
- Broil last 2-3 minutes to create a crispy outside on the chicken and lemon slices on top.
- Remove and let sit for 8-10 minutes before touching serving.
- Optional – Brush baked chicken with the reserved marinade
If you don’t have a food processor to make the marinade, replace the chopped onion with onion powder and whisk ingredients together in small bowl until combined. Adjust taste as needed.
If your chicken thighs are larger than the palm of your hand, you can double the marinade and use enough to coat chicken and more. Save the marinade for dressings, dips, etc.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
Keywords: baked chicken, paleo, gluten free, low carb