These nutty maple bars are gluten free, vegan, and paleo, but ANY dessert lover will gobble them up! The maple glaze adds the perfect finishing touch. An EASY cookie bar recipe with NO refined sugar.
For the Maple Bars:
- 1/3 c melted coconut oil
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 c tapioca flour (see notes for alternative)
- 1/4 tsp sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or swerve , extra for coating nuts.
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/3 c chopped macadamia nuts (or other nut of choice)
- melted Butter (or vegan butter) and optional raw sugar (to coat the nuts in)
- Optional Add-ins (see notes)
For the Maple Glaze:
- 2 tbsp melted butter or refined coconut oil (vegan soy free butter works)
- 1/4 c to 1/3 c pure maple syrup
- heaping 1/2 cup or more powdered sugar or powdered sugar substitute, such as swerve The more powdered sugar you add, the thicker the glaze.
- Optional- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt your coconut oil or butter. Place in bowl and whisk with maple syrup and vanilla.
- Next sift together your almond flour, tapioca flour*, baking soda, and salt. Mix in coconut sugar and pinch of cinnamon. *See notes for substitution for tapioca flour.
- Gently add the dry batter to your wet ingredient bowl. Mix together.
- In another bowl, coat macadamia nuts in melted butter and extra sugar, then fold nuts into the batter.
- Let batter sit in fridge for 20 minutes or longer.
- While batter is chilling, line an 8 x 8 inch square pan with parchment paper
- After batter has chilled, scoop it into lined pan and press flat until batter is even and flat, reaching each edge.
- Bake at 350F for 25-27 minutes (longer at altitude). Check at 20 minutes for doneness. Edges should be golden brown.
- Remove and let cool.
To make Maple Glaze (optional)
Melt 2 tbsp butter or refined coconut oil. In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth.
- Drizzle 1/2 or more of the glaze on top of the bars and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of your macadamia nuts on top.
- Chill bars in fridge or freezer for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove and slice.
- *You can use 1/3 c arrowroot flour if you don’t have tapioca flour
- Store in airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Optional Add-ins or toppings – cocoa powder, toffee bits (non vegan), chocolate liquor, etc.
ESTIMATED NUTRITION without GLAZE
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 7.8 g
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.9 mg
Keywords: maple bars, vegan desserts, cookie bar recipe, gluten free desserts