Nomato sauce is a dairy free, nightshade free, and anti-inflammatory tomato sauce alternative, and it’s delicious! Full of antioxidants and nutrients, you can make this easy sauce recipe in your blender.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 cup diced beets (1 large raw beet, peeled- purple or golden*)
- 1 cup diced carrots (1–2 large carrots, peeled)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (use more for a thinner sauce)
- 1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree (or other squash puree)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice and/or 2 tsp balsamic vinegar for extra tang (I use a combo of both)
- Optional add-in: 1 tbsp pitted diced olives, capers, nutritional yeast
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, then add and saute the onions until tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beets, carrots, Italian seasoning, oregano, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir together. Add 1 cup vegetable broth. Cover and cook over medium heat until carrots and beets are fork-tender, 20 to 30 minutes. The broth will almost be absorbed by then. Once cooked, transfer ingredients in the pot to a blender. See photos in blog post.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and pumpkin/squash puree, then blend until smooth. Alternatively, add 1/2 cup broth and pumpkin/squash puree to the pot and use a stick blender to blend into a puree. Note: For thinner pasta sauce, increase amount of broth to reach desired consistency. Then, add fresh parsley, lemon juice and/or balsamic vinegar, and any optional add-ins, and blend again until smooth.
- Transfer ingredients back into the pot (if you used a blender) and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Store in a sealed container in fridge for up to a week, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- For a sweeter sauce, use purple beets. For a lighter, more neutral flavored sauce (with less pink stain), use golden beets.
- It is possible to make this recipe using pre-cooked beets and carrots. However, the flavor will be muted, and the sauce will be much thicker, so you will need to use additional broth.
- Category: sauces
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: nomato sauce, dairy free sauce, tomato sauce alternative, anti-inflammatory sauce