No Bean Chili is a thick, chunky beanless chili recipe loaded with meat, veggies, and flavor! Made on the stovetop in under an hour, it’s a warm, comforting meal that tastes even better the next day.
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil (adding oil is optional, but recommended for better browning)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chile peppers, drained (about 1/3 cup chopped if buying canned whole peppers)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste (for thicker chili)
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (can omit, but highly recommended if using leaner meat like ground turkey)
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional Garnishes: lime wedges, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado slices and/or shredded cheese
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground meat and brown for 4 to 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked. With a slotted spoon, remove the ground meat from the pot, and place in a bowl. (There should be a small amount of oil/grease left in the pot to cook vegetables, if not, add 1 Tablespoon light olive oil.)
- Add the onion to the pot and season with oregano, salt, and cumin. Cook, stirring often, about 1 to 2 minutes or until tender and fragrant.
- Mix the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeños, and garlic in with the onion and seasoning. Add the drained green chile peppers and cooked ground meat and cook over medium to medium-low heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, black pepper and optional paprika.
- Bring the pot to a quick boil to thicken sauces, then reduce heat to low. Add the bay leaf then cover the pot and simmer for 25 minutes.
- When done cooking, remove the bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
- Serve with optional garnishes. Store cooked and cooled chili in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Substitute Tips – If using ground turkey or ground chicken, use a higher fat 85/15 or a ground dark meat for a more flavorful taste. Vegetarian option – Brown tempeh instead of meat or use or vegan taco meat in place of meat and add to pot at the end before simmering.
Storage Tips – Store cooked and cooled chili in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 551.3 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.3 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 20.6 g
- Cholesterol: 58.8 mg
Keywords: no bean chili, beanless chili recipe, low carb chili recipe, easy dinner recipe, gluten free family meal