How to make one pot beans. This Mexican Pinto Beans recipe is slow cooked with Mexican spices and vegetables! Vegetarian option, healthy, and gluten free! An easy to follow one pot recipe.
- 16 oz pintos (soaked in water overnight or 6–9 hours)
- Purified water
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c chopped white onion
- 3 –4 tsp Cumin
- 3–4 tsp chili powder
- Water or gluten free Broth To cover beans
- 1 or 2 chopped/sliced jalapeno (Feel free to add more peppers to make spicier)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt/pepper each
- Finely Chopped Cilantro (2 tbsp)
- Optional Pork or ham bones to place in pot while stewing (Disregard if you want vegetarian option)
- Optional diced tomatoes ( 2/3 to 3/4 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes work great).
- More Cilantro to garnish
- Clean and rinse your beans. Place in large stewing pot. Cover with clean water and soak for 6 to 9 hrs. Don’t soak longer than 12 or your beans might split. See notes for storing beans before cooking.
- After you’ve soaked your beans, drain the water and return beans to the pot.
- Mix in your garlic, ham bones (if you using them), onion, cumin, chili, and black pepper. If you want to add tomato, do so here. I opted not to for this recipe because I didn’t want to add salt to the beans yet.
- Pour vegetable or chicken broth over the beans to cover at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil them simmer uncovered for 90 minutes or until beans are tender. NOTE: Beans expand so much when cooking, you want to check liquid level half way and add a tad more water/broth if needed.
- Once beans are tender, take out your ham bones (if using) and add in your salt, chopped jalapenos, and cilantro.
- Stir and cook on low for 25 -30 more minutes until jalapenos softened and pinto beans are seasoned enough to your liking. You can cook longer if you want softer beans.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro and a pinch or two more chili pepper before serving. (If desired)
- If you soak your beans, but can’t cook them right away, simply drain them then place covered in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Salting beans: Do not add salt to beans until they are tender in cooking.
- NUTRITION shown without tomatoes
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 133.6mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: one pot beans, gluten free side dish, Mexican beans, vegetarian side dish