Instant Pot white chicken chili is a hearty gluten free meal with lean protein and veggies, but no nightshades! Make the recipe in an IP or on stovetop!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (see notes for a quicker option)
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1.5 tsp liquid smoke (optional, see notes)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot (see notes)
- 8 ounces chicken or vegetable broth, 1/4 cup more if adding extra veggies
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp white or black pepper (white pepper for extra kick)
- 1/3 cup non dairy or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp sour cream or full fat greek yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp onion salt (optional)
Instant Pot Instructions
- Press saute button on Instant Pot to preheat and season chicken breasts evenly with 1/2 tsp salt.. When the inner pot is hot, add olive oil and place chicken breasts in Instant Pot. Cook first side for 5 minutes, then flip breasts over and cook for another 5 minutes..
- Turn off the pot and use two forks to shred the meat, add liquid smoke to the pot and toss to coat the chicken. Remove chicken from pot and transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Next, turn the Instant Pot back on to the saute setting and add in onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes or until carrots are softened.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot with the vegetables. Add the broth, oregano, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Close lid and use manual setting to pressure cook on high for 5 minutes, then perform a natural release of pressure (which will take an additional 10 minutes or so, then it will unlock).
- After pressure releases, open the pot and set the unit to keep warm. Stir in milk and optional sour cream and extra seasoning (1/4 tsp onion salt, or sea salt and pepper, if desired).
- Keep warm for 5-10 minutes. For thicker chili, stir in cornstarch or arrowroot slurry**. Garnish with cilantro, green onion, and optional shredded cheese, then serve.
Stove Top Instructions
- Cook chicken breasts for 5 minutes per side with olive oil in a 6-quart pot / dutch oven over medium high.
- Then, follow the same instructions as the Instant Pot version, except after you add the broth, spices and chicken to the pot, bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes on medium low.
- Stir in the milk and optional sour cream last and simmer (do not boil) for an additional 5 minutes to combine. Season to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onion, and optional cheese.
Recipe suggestions and substitutes
- For a quick version, buy premade rotisserie chicken (make sure it’s gluten free without additives). Shred it, toss with liquid smoke, then add with the broth after sautéing vegetables.
- Liquid smoke mimics the flavor of smoky chilis without adding nightshades. It’s optional, but makes a WORLD of a difference.
- Spicier version with nightshades, add 8 ounce canned drained green chiles and/or 1 tsp chili powder.
- Thicker version – Mix in slurry at the end of cooking . Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot to equal parts cold water, mixed.
- Extra veggies! For additional texture, add 1 cup fresh (cooked) or frozen corn kernels with the other veggies.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot white chicken chili, Instant Pot chicken chili, nightshade free chili, gluten free, low carb