Made with hearty vegetables and high in protein, this Instant Pot Chicken Potato Soup is a quick and comforting meal that will leave you feeling full and satisfied! Stove Top Option.
- Medium ears corn, husked
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (4 to 5), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 pound white sweet potato (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (See notes for the original recipe.)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon* *Read the label to be sure this product is gluten-free ( Better than Bouillon is gluten free).
- 6 ounces diced avocado (from 1 large Hass)
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche or heavy cream (or coconut cream for dairy free option)
- 3 Tablespoons capers, drained, plus 6 teaspoons brine (optional)
- Cilantro and peppercorns for garnish (optional)
- Using a sharp knife, cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces (about 2 ½ inches long). Set them aside on a plate.
In an electric pressure cooker, combine 5 ½ cups water, the potatoes, chicken, scallions, and chicken bouillon. Seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes (see notes), until the potatoes are tender. Let the Instant Pot natural release, and open it when the pressure subsides. Then, press the sauté button. Add the corn, and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the corn is tender.
To serve, place a piece of corn in each of 6 bowls. Then, ladle about 1 2/3 cups of soup into each bowl. Top them with 1 ounce avocado, 2 teaspoons crème fraiche (or dairy free cream), and ½ Tablespoon of the capers. If desired, add 1 teaspoon of the caper brine to each bowl.
Garnish the bowls with cilantro and/or fresh pepper and a pinch of sea salt.
See notes for Stove top or Dutch oven Option.
This recipe is adapted from the One and Done Cookbook and posted with permission from Author (Gina from Skinnytaste). The original recipe uses russet potatoes. So, feel free to use those! I opted for sweet potato for extra nutrients.
Stove Top or Dutch Oven Option – To make this in a large pot or Dutch oven, increase the water to 6 cups. Bring the water to a boil, and cook all of the ingredients except for the corn, covered, for 20-25 minutes on medium-low heat or until the potatoes are tender. Then, add the corn, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Cooking times may vary based on the size of the potatoes and chicken.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Latin
- Serving Size: 1 2/3 cups
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 204.4 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 22.5 g
- Cholesterol: 58.5 mg
Keywords: soup, potato soup, pressure cooker, instant pot, chicken soup, gluten free, paleo