This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup with Apple is warm and comforting for a nourishing meal perfect for kid-friendly meal prep! Stove Top Option.
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 small or medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled, whole)
- 1/2 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and chopped or diced
- 1 large apple (Honeycrisp, Gala, etc.), peeled, cored, and chopped (1 1/2 cups, chopped)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick (see notes if you don’t have a cinnamon stick)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or non-dairy milk/cream
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or paprika (adjust to your liking)
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish – thyme or parsley, pepper, and pumpkin seeds
- Add oil or butter to the inside of the instant pot, and press the sauté button. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes in the instant pot until the ingredients are fragrant.
- Add squash, apple, and cumin, and sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, pour in the broth, and stir the ingredients together. Place a cinnamon stick in the pot, and cover it with a lid. Make sure the vent is sealed.
- Press manual, and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Then, use the natural release setting. Or, cook the ingredients for 12 minutes, and use the quick release method.
- Once the pressure is safely released, use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Or, carefully transfer the soup into a high speed blender (half at a time), and puree the soup until it is creamy. Transfer the soup back into the pot/instant pot, and keep it on warm mode.
- Stir in the coconut milk (or cream) and additional spices: curry, cayenne, pinch of nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep the pot on warm for 5-10 minutes until the spices have nicely blended with the soup. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Serve and garnish with fresh thyme and roasted pumpkin seeds.
Stove Top Option:
- Add oil or butter to a large pot, and heat it on medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot, and sauté the ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are fragrant.
- Add the squash, apple, and cumin sauteing for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, pour in the broth, and stir the ingredients together. Place a cinnamon stick in the pot, and cover it with a lid.
- Cook the soup for 15 minutes on medium-to-medium low heat.
- Follow the same instructions as the instant pot recipe (starting at transferring to blender) after this step.
If you don’t have a cinnamon stick add a pinch or two ground cinnamon along with nutmeg after blending.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25. minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 747.8 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soup, butternut squash, instant pot, vegetarian, meal prep