How to make Chipotle mayo or plain mayonnaise with Paleo ingredients. Few ingredients and easy instructions
- 1 egg yolk (Eggland’s Best cage free eggs)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- dash of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (see notes for other oils)
- splash of lime juice
- pinch of onion powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp + adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers to stir in after blended. Or you can use 1/2 tsp chipotle powder and pinch of smoked paprika . Or both! Note: If you are using the adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, start with just a few tsps, then add more and adjust to your spice liking.
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, 1/2 tsp mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended/mixed thoroughly, about 30 seconds.
- Using 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon at a time (and whisking constantly), add the oil a few drops at a time to the yolk mixture until you’ve used 1/4 cup oil. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next place egg mixture in small food processor or blender with feed shoot. You may also continue to whisk by hand.
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very thin stream, pulsing food processor or whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 6 minutes or so by hand. Add in 1 tbsp chipotle sauce and/or 1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder. Mix in onion powder and splash of lime. Whisk again until combined.
- Taste to see if mayo needs more spices or lemon/lime.
- Cover and refrigerate. This mayo can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled for up to 4 to 6 days. Feel free to garnish with herbs and pepper when serving or using.
- Don’t want to add spice? NO PROB, just skip the peppers to make plain paleo mayo.
- Category: condiment
- Method: mix/blend
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: homemade mayo, mayo, paleo, whole 30, condiment, dairy free, low carb