Want to know how to make homemade chipotle mayo? Well, we have you covered with paleo options to boot! Make it by hand, with a blender, or food processor. This is guaranteed to be a new favorite condiment!
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- dash of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (see notes for other oils)
- 1 Tablespoon+ adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers (see note for sub)
- splash of lime juice
- pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
- pinch of onion powder (optional)
- Combine egg yolk, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until blended/mixed thoroughly, about 30 seconds.
- Using 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon at a time (and whisking constantly), add the oil a few drops at a time to the yolk mixture until you’ve used 1/4 cup oil. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next place egg mixture in a small food processor or blender with a feed shoot. You may also continue to whisk by hand.
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a very thin stream, pulsing food processor or whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 6 minutes or so by hand. Add in the chipotle sauce and/or paprika or chili powder. Mix in onion powder and splash of lime. Whisk again until combined.
- Taste to see if mayo needs more spices or lime.
- Cover and refrigerate. This mayo can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled for up to 4 to 6 days.Garnish with herbs and pepper when serving, if desired.
Want to make plain homemade mayonnaise? Skip the peppers to make plain paleo mayo.
Adobo Sauce Substitute – You can use 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder and a pinch of smoked paprika. Or both! Note: If you are using the adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, start with just a few teaspoons, then add more and adjust to your spice liking.
- Prep Time: 12
- Category: condiment
- Method: mix/blend
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 16.9 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.2 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 15.4 mg
Keywords: homemade mayo, mayo, paleo, whole 30, condiment, dairy free, low carb