This homemade Fruit kvass with blackberry lime and mint is a gluten free version of a popular Russian fermented drink. Loaded with probiotics, it’s a refreshing, tangy, bubbly drink that you can make right at home.
- Quart size mason jars
- 1.5 to 2 cups mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (use less if you have culture starter)
- 4 c purified water
- Half a lime, sliced
- 4 mint leaves
- Optional but recommended for quick fermentation–> 1/4 c or less kombucha or brine from previous fermented source (i.e or kefir water). You can also use a whey, probiotic, or culture starter. (Culture started, Source and tips)
- Clean and sterilize your mason jars.
- Divide your ingredients into 2 quart size mason jars, or one larger mason jar. Add mint leaves last, 2 in each Jar.
- Cover with purified water and shake it up to mix the honey, mint, and berries together.
- Seal jar with lid let it sit on the counter for 2-7 days. I let it sit for 5 days.
- When you start to see bubbles (usually after 1 day) release the lid and let a little air out so it won’t get over carbonated. If you don’t see any bubbles, just keep it sealed until the 2nd day.
- When your fruit looks cooked and your brew is bubbly, open lid and strain out the fruit. Place liquid in a seal proof bottle. This is your kvass.
- Leave the fruit kvass liquid sealed in an airtight bottle on the counter for another 1-3 days to build up more carbonation, or just feel free to go ahead and keep in fridge.
- Add more mint leaves and/or berries before serving, if desired. it in the fridge and enjoy!
The longer it ferments, the less sweet it gets. Taste kvass after 2-3 days on counter.
If you are using a culture starter, you cut the salt in half or not use at all.
- Category: drink
- Method: fermentation
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: Fermentation reduces sugar content so less than 4 g
- Sodium: 292.7 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg