Gujarati Style Coconut Almond Warm Cabbage Salad is a healthy plant-based dinner side or main!
- 1 head Napa cabbage (core removed) shredded or chopped in processor “riced”
- 1 large carrot (2 medium) shredded
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup almond, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded (toasted)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 –3 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp or more Salt and black or white pepper (to taste)
- 1–2 tbsp oil (avocado or coconut oil work best)
- 2–3 green or spicy red chili peppers, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or juice of lime
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- Cilantro to garnish/tabasco
- Wash vegetables. Chip cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Shred cabbage in processor or finely chop. You can place a quarter at a time in the food processor.
- Chop, shred carrot. Slice your peppers. Remove seeds if you don’t want spicy.
- Place cabbage in bowl. Remove excess water from cabbage by pressing a paper towel on top. Drain bowl of excess water.
- Add carrot to cabbage mix. Then mix in your salt, pepper, garlic.
- Chop your almonds unless you buy pre chopped.
- If you are toasting your coconut and almonds, preheat oven to 400F. Quickly toast your coconut and almonds
- on a lined baking tray for 5 minutes or until golden brown coconut. Almonds will just be lightly toasted. Remove and set aside. See notes for quick toasting.
- Next heat a large frying pan with your oil over medium.
- Add mustard seed and cover slightly with top so they don’t pop out.
- Once they start “popping”, add your cabbage, carrot, peppers, 1/4 tsp salt and white pepper. Mix together.
- Next add optional coconut/palm sugar, apple cider vinegar or lime juice, and 3/4 cup of your almonds/coconut mix. Save some for the garnish/topping.
- Mix and cook 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat and place into large bowl. Garnish with extra almond/coconut, cilantro and tabasco if desired. Serve into bowls or family style. Extra salt/pepper if desired.
*Note: Quick toast in toaster oven. Spread almonds and coconut together on lined toaster oven tray. Toast for 3-5 minutes in toasted oven @ 350-400F.
If you can’t find spicy red or green chili peppers, you can use thai birds eye peppers or jalapeños.
This keeps well for a few days covered in fridge.
If you are wanting a whole 30 dish , omit sugar.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 219
- Sodium: 239.3mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 8.2g
Keywords: cabbage salad