Turkey tacos are a delicious meal, but adding roasted green chiles elevates the flavor! Make this gluten free recipe on the stove or in a slow cooker. This recipe makes enough to feed 4 people, with 2 tacos each.
Vegetarian option included.
For Turkey Tacos
- Oil for the pan
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (see notes for vegetarian option)
- 1 small yellow onion or red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces (two 4 ounce cans) fire roasted green chilies (see notes for using or 2 fresh chiles) , with seed removed, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- Chopped bell pepper
- Avocado crema (recipe below)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 avocado (small, ripe)
- 1/2 cup mayo or sour cream
- pinch of chili powder, optional.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and ground turkey and sauté for 2 minutes. Mix in the spices and green chiles, then sauté on medium for about 10 more minutes, until the ground turkey is cooked through and onions have softened. Add a splash of lime juice and salt/pepper to taste before serving.
- While the ground turkey taco meat is sautéing, you can make the avocado crema. Simply blend or mash all the ingredients together in one bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, warm tortillas in a pan or oven for a few minutes to make them pliable and easier to fill. Place a few spoonfuls of cooked filling into each tortilla. Top with 1-2 tbsp avocado crema. Add any other toppings you want, and cilantro to garnish.
Slow cooker version:
- Brown ground turkey and onion in skillet over medium high for 5 minutes.
- Add mixture to the slow cooker with 1 tbsp oil, spices, and green chilies. Place on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Add lime and salt/pepper before serving.
- Tacos can be wrapped in plastic wrap or foil and kept in fridge for up to 5 days. Avocado crema to be kept separately. Avocado crema can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days.
Vegetarian option– swap the turkey for crumbled gluten free tempeh or 2 cans (3.5 cups) cooked white northern beans, drained.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: main dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 tacos w/o sauce
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 818.9 mg
- Fat: 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 25.9 g
- Cholesterol: 78.2 mg
Keywords: turkey tacos, ground turkey tacos, slow cooker taco recipe