This tabouli salad has quinoa instead of bulgur, making it a fantastic gluten free summer salad! Make this fresh, healthy meal in just 20 minutes.
- 1/2 cup quinoa + 1 cup water (or 1/2 to 2/3 c precooked quinoa)
For the salad
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 2 large lemons, or to taste
- 1 bunch chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 10 ounces red or yellow cherry ripe tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced or diced
- Finely ground sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Optional toppings – crumbled feta or yogurt cheese, and extra lemons for squeezing
- Rinse and cook quinoa. For instructions, see this quinoa 101 post or the recipe notes below. Once cooked, fluff with a fork and transfer 1/2 to 2/3 cup quinoa to a large bowl. Toss with the minced garlic, lemon juice, parsley, mint, tomatoes, scallions, olives, salt and pepper.
- Leave at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes up to 2 hours, so that the quinoa can continue to absorb liquid and swell. (see notes for making ahead)
- Add the olive oil, toss to combine, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Top with extra lemon and optional cheese topping (ie. feta).
If you want to make the salad a day ahead, be sure to leave out the olives, lemon, and olive oil. Place tomatoes on the very bottom of the bowl, then cooked quinoa, salt, parsley and mint. Add the lemon, garlic, olive oil, and olives 30 minutes to an 1 hour before serving . Toss and leave it at room temperature. This prevents the tomatoes from getting too soft.
- Category: salad
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: tabouli salad recipe, quinoa tabouli, recipes with quinoa