Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs with Charred Rosemary is a healthy baked chicken recipe that you make in one pan, for an easy dinner! Gluten free, low carb, paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
- 1.5 lbs bone-in chicken thighs with skin (approx. 5 –6 thighs)
For the Greek dressing
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves (or 2 tsp minced)
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt, plus addt’l pinch for seasoning chicken
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 chopped shallots or 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use paper towels to pat chicken dry, then set aside.
- Place rosemary sprigs in dry skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Dry fry in pan until leaves are fragrant and charred, about 3-4 minutes.
- Strip rosemary leaves from stems, then place leaves in medium size mixing bowl. Add remaining dressing ingredients; olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk to combine.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large, oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Rub chicken thighs with pinch of sea salt, then add to pan, skin side down. Cook on medium high (rearranging chicken thighs and rotating pan to evenly distribute heat) for about 10 minutes, or until skin is golden brown.* (See notes)
- Pour off majority of fat from pan, keeping about 1 tbsp in the pan for moisture. Place chicken skin side up, then pour or brush the Greek dressing over chicken and onion . Add lemon slices to pan and place in oven at 400°F. for 25 minutes.
- For crispy skin (if desired), broil at 500°F. for the final 1-2 minutes. Internal temperature should reach 165°F. at the thickest part of the thighs. Be sure to prevent the thermometer probe from touching any bones.
- Tent the chicken with foil and let it rest on cutting board for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh diced parsley.
- Tip – Don’t flip the chicken over until it’s released enough fat from the skin. This prevents the skin from sticking to the pan. Also, make sure the chicken isn’t too cold when adding to the pan.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: herb roasted chicken, healthy baked chicken recipe, roasted chicken thighs, Greek baked chicken