Keep these Sweet Potato Waffles on hand for a kid-friendly recipe that is nutritious and delicious! Served sweet or savory, they’re perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and more!
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and sweetener of choice
- 185 grams sweet potato, peeled, chopped (about 1 1/4 cup grated)
- 2 eggs (See notes for substitutes)
- 3 Tablespoons almond or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1 Tablespoon creamy nut butter
Place the oats in a food processor or high-speed blender, and blend or pulse until a mealy texture is formed.
Place the ground oats in a large bowl. Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar (if using), and whisk to combine.
Place the chopped potato in a food processor or high-speed blender, and blend or pulse until a grated texture is formed.
Add the eggs, milk, flax meal, and nut butter to the grated potatoes, and blend or pulse until they are well-combined.*
Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the ground oats, and mix until combined. The batter will still be gritty due to ground oats.
Let the prepared batter sit for 10 minutes..
Heat a waffle iron, and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
Once heated, pour ⅓ cup of the waffle batter into the waffle iron. *Note – 1/4c to 1/2c cups batter may be used depending on size of the waffle maker. Help the batter spread with a palette knife or the back of wooden spoon.
Cook the batter 2-4 minutes before removing it from the waffle iron. * Note that each waffle maker cooks differently, so check progress at 2 minutes.
Repeat the cooking process until all the batter has been used.
Let the waffles cool on a plate or baking rack.
- Vegan Option: Replace the eggs with a flax egg by combining 1 Tablespoon of flax meal with 2 Tablespoons of water. For a thinner batter, add an additional Tablespoon of non-dairy milk. Vegan batter will take longer to cook, almost double the time per waffle, so be patient.
- Makes 2-3 waffles, depending on the size of the waffle iron.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 118.6 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 124 mg
Keywords: waffle, breakfast, gluten free, sweet potato, vegan-friendly, kid-friendly, dairy-free