These Easy Gluten-Free Rolls are made with simple ingredients for the softest, most delicious gluten-free dinner rolls you’ll ever taste! Dairy-Free Option.
- 1 cup warm (110F) non-dairy milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons quick-rise yeast (instant yeast)
- 4 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 330 to 335 grams (2 to 3 cups) gluten-free all-purpose flour (See notes for flour options)
- 2 teaspoons (5 1/2 grams) xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 1/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Proof the yeast to ensure the yeast is alive and active. In a glass measuring cup, heat the milk to 110 F then mix in the yeast and 1 Tablespoon sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes until the yeast is active (bubbly and happy).
- In a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and 3 Tablespoons sugar.
- Still using the whisk attachment, place the stand mixer on low to medium speed. Gently add the proofed yeast, melted butter, egg and vinegar to the batter. Mix until combined.
- Remove the whisk attachment, wipe excess dough from the whisk and place back in the bowl. Change to the dough hook and continue to mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. The batter will be sticky, but that’s okay!
- Generously grease an 8″ or 9″ round pan. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop dough into 7 to 8 mounds in the pan. Reshape with greased or wet hands, if needed, to smooth out the tops.
- Cover with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until almost doubled in size. During the last 10 minutes the rolls are rising, preheat the empty oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, covering with foil once the rolls are golden brown. Note – The baking times will vary based on type of gluten free flour blend, check for doneness starting at 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once the rolls are done or reach an internal temperature of 185 to 200 F, brush the rolls with additional melted butter, if desired.
- Store rolls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Gently warm before eating.
Gluten-Free Flour Blend Recommendations: We recommend using the homemade gluten-free blend for the softest rolls. However, the store-bought pre-made Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (WITHOUT xanthan gum) works well too. For other flour recommendations, see blog post.
Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend Ingredients makes 2 1/2 to 3 cups (335g)
- 1 cup white rice flour (145 g)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (60g)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (70 g )
- ½ cup sorghum flour (60 g)
Baking/Flour Tips – It’s best to use a baking scale to accurately measure the amount of flour in grams versus cups.
Prep Tip – If not using a stand mixer, we recommend using a hand mixer with dough hook attachments. Knead the dough for 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed. We don’t recommend mixing or kneading by hand. It does work, but the rolls will be much more dense and doughy versus fluffy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rest Time: 55 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 345.4 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: gluten-free, gluten-free dinner rolls, rolls, appetizer, side dish