Easy Baked Jalapeno Cheese Crisps! Low carb gluten free cheese crisps with a Tex-Mex flare! These healthier baked crisps are simple to make with minimal ingredients. Plus can be made mild or super spicy. You choose! One of our favorite appetizers and snacks.
- 5 medium jalapenos
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp onion salt or powder
- 6 –8 one ounce naturally aged cheese slices. (parmesan works best, but swiss, provolone, havarti all work too. See notes for the cooking times.
- tabasco or ranch sauce for dipping
- parchment paper
- preheat oven to 450F
- Slice your jalapeno into thin slices. About half an inch thick. Make sure to cut out seeds if you don’t want them spicy.
- Toss jalapeno slices with olive oil and onion powder or onion salt, pepper, and arrange flat on baking tray with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until jalapeno slices are crispier. This is why it’s important to cut them think. If you cut thicker they will take long to bake.
- Next remove jalapenos and let cool. blot jalapenos with towel so you remove extra oil.
- Place your oven at 400F now. Then Re-line your baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take half of your cheese slice and cut in half or into 2-3 pieces. You can also just pull them apart into pieces. .
- Fold it around the jalapeno slice/ring. Make sure it’s still flat. Not a ball.
- Place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Repeat until you have used up all your slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 6-7 minutes or until cheese is crispy. Provolone and Havarti take around 10 minutes or so to bake crispy. Just depends on oven. Be sure to check after 5 minutes so they don’t burn.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then season with more pepper/sea salt if desired.
- Serve with tabasco or ranch sauce. It’s great!
- Storage – once cooked and cooled, keep in an airtight container.
- Certain cheese will take longer in oven to get crispy. Parmesan bakes fastest. Check after 6 minutes or so.
- Nutrition is based on using Parmesan cheese. If you use a higher fat cheese, the calories will be higher.
- Category: appetizers
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 cheese crisps
- Calories: 36
- Sodium: 62.2mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4
- Carbohydrates: 0.3g
- Fiber: 0.1
- Protein: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 4.9 mg
Keywords: cheese crisps, easy appetizers, low carb snacks