How to cook Millet + Gluten Free Grain Breakfast Bowl. This delicious millet gluten free grain breakfast bowl is like a warm porridge. Top it with milk a little sweetener, and your favorite fruit for a wholesome, comforting breakfast.
- 1 cup hulled millet
- 1 3/4 cups – 3 1/2 cups water (amount varies depending on cooking method
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For Breakfast Bowl
- 3/4 cup cooked millet
- milk of choice
- honey or maple syrup
- fruit (peaches, plums, pears, apples, etc.) diced or fresh berries
- Optional 1 tablespoon chopped nuts or seeds.
For Stove Top
- Bring 2 cups water to a rolling boil in a small pot. Stir in 1 cup millet and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Return contents to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain off any remaining water, then serve it as is, or use it to make some of these millet recipes.
For Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Place millet, 1 3/4 cups water and salt in the pot of a pressure cooker. Set the valve to sealing.
- Using manual setting, set on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cook time is finished, naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then serve.
For Slow Cooker
- Place millet, 3 1/2 cups water and salt into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or high for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.
To make a breakfast grain bowl with millet: 1 serving
- Place 2/3 to 3/4 cup cooked millet in a bowl. Cover with non dairy milk or creamer (1/3 c to 2/3 cup; warmed if desired).
- Mix in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 Tablespoon+ honey or maple syrup.
- Top with fresh fruit, nuts, berries, extra cinnamon and maple syrup top top.
1 cup uncooked millet yields about 3 1/2 cups cooked millet.
1 serving = 1/4 cup uncooked or about 3/4 cup cooked.
Nutrition for 1 serving cooked millet, plain- 210 calories, 2 grams of fat, 42 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 0 grams of sugar, 5 grams of protein.
Nutrition for the millet breakfast bowl below.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 17.6 g
- Sodium: 98.5 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.5 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: millet, breakfast bowl, gluten free grain