This Cauliflower Gnocchi recipe can be baked, boiled, or cooked in the air fryer for gluten-free comfort food that will satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
- 460 grams cauliflower florets (3 1/2 – 4 cups or about 1 medium head). 360 grams after cooked and water strained.
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) gluten free oat flour or chickpea flour (see notes)
- 3–4 Tablespoons (30 grams) tapioca starch or potato starch
- Optional – 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the cauliflower by steaming in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes or on the stovetop. To steam, place cauliflower and 1/4 cup water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 7 to 9 minutes or until cauliflower is tender, stir occasionally.
- Remove excess water by squeezing cauliflower with a cheesecloth or a thin towel.
- Place cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Blend until riced. Then add salt and oil. Blend again until cauliflower puree/mash is formed. Set aside.
- Combine flour, starch, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add to the mashed cauliflower in the food processor. Blend ingredients until combined.
- Transfer batter to a large mixing bowl and shape into a soft dough ball. Then place it in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill and harden.
- With well floured hands, roll dough on a floured surface creating a gnocchi log by rolling it out to about 6-inches wide. Once rolled, cut the dough into 1-inch by 3/4-inch squares.
- Make ridges in the dough by rolling the dough down the edge of the fork to make the signature gnocchi lines. Bake using one of the three methods below.
After baking, air frying, or boiling place cauliflower gnocchi in a deep skillet with choice of sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Baking Methods for Gnocchi
BAKE – Preheat oven to 400F. Bake gnocchi for 8 minutes, place on a greased baking sheet. Flip the pieces and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes until golden.
AIR FRYER – Spray Air Fryer with cooking oil and place gnocchi on the grate-lined bottom. Preheat Air Fryer to 400F degrees and air fry for about 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the gnocchi halfway and spray it with cooking spray to get a little more crispy.
BOILING – Boil 6 cups of salted water (1/2 teaspoon salt). Gently place the gnocchi in the boiling water and cook until they float to the top of the water, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, gently scoop out the gnocchi and place on a sheet pan or in a skillet to brown. Once boiled, the gnocchi can immediately be tossed in a sauce, soup, or cooked in a casserole, etc.
Oat flour, chickpea flour, or Cassava flour: You can find cassava flour on Amazon or through Bob’s Red Mill. All these flours work well with the potato starch but I found that oat flour is the easiest to make/find. The chickpea flour air fries well but keep in mind it absorbs a lot of the sauce fast! They all will work but do keep in mind the texture slightly varies.
Potato starch or tapioca starch is used as a binder to bind the cauliflower puree together. Tapioca starch works best with oat/chickpea flour.
- Prep Time: 10
- Chill Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: main dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: gnocchi, gluten free gnocchi, gluten free pasta, air fried gnocchi