This cake balls recipe is made with gluten free ingredients and 3 different flavor options for the perfect sweet treat for every occasion!
- 15 ounces (425 grams) gluten-free cake mix + box ingredients needed. For this cake mix, an additional 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, and water are needed. (*See notes for vegan option)
Basic Gluten Free Cake Ball Batter
- 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups of crumbled baked cupcakes (around 300 grams)
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour
- Melted dark and/or white chocolate to coat (See notes for vegan option)
Mix-in Options To Add to Basic Batter (above) –
Dark Chocolate Chip:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Melted dark chocolate to coat
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 – 4 Tablespoons pitted chopped dates
- 2 – 4 Tablespoons nuts, chopped
- Melted white chocolate or dairy free white chocolate to coat
Vanilla Chocolate Cake Balls:
- Basic cake ball batter
- Melted dark chocolate and white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325°F or 350°F according to the cake mix instructions. Grease a muffin or cupcake pan, and set it aside. (*See notes)
- Prepare the cake mix batter according to the package ingredients and instructions.
- Pour the prepared batter into the muffin/cupcake pan.
- Bake for 1-2 minutes less than the time recommended on the box. Remove the pan from the oven, and allow the cake to cool.
- Once cooled, break up the cupcakes into small crumbles. See blog post for photos.
- In a large mixing bowl, scoop 3 1/2 cups of the crumbled cupcakes/cake. (Equals about 300 grams).
- Add the gluten free oat flour, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix the ingredients together with a spatula. Add the desired mix-ins. (See ingredient list).
NOTE– If adding extra mix-ins, adjust the batter thickness as needed. If the batter is too runny, add more oat flour. If the batter is too thick, add more maple syrup.
- Using two hands, roll the batter into 1-1 ½ inch balls (about the size of a golf ball), and place them on a lined cookie sheet or large serving tray.
- Place the cake balls pan in the freezer or fridge to cool. While the cake balls are cooling, make the chocolate coating by melting ½ cup dark and/or white chocolate with 1 – 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Heat the mixture in the microwave in intervals of 30 seconds, stirring in between or on the stovetop.
- Dip each cooled cake ball into the melted chocolate before placing them back on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all cake balls are coated.
- Place the balls in the freezer to set for 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate coating has hardened.
- Transfer the cake balls to a sealed container, and store them in the fridge for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 5
- chill time: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 bite (No Coating)
- Calories: 100 -120
- Sugar: 8-10 grams
- Fat: 5-7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12-15 grams
Keywords: cake balls, gluten free, dairy free, cake, dessert, kid friendly