These gluten free biscuits are fluffy, flaky, and delicious for an allergy-friendly addition to your favorite breakfasts, casseroles, and more!
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose gluten free flour (290 – 300 g) *
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (See notes)
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar or honey
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter *
- 1 cup cold buttermilk plus extra for brushing
- 1 large egg (See notes for egg-free option)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar.
- Grate the cold butter into the flour, and using two hands, gently combine the batter.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture. Whisk the egg into 1 cup (240ml) of buttermilk. Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the well of dry flour.
- Fold everything together with a large spoon or rubber spatula until it begins to come together. Do not overwork the dough!
- Place the dough on a floured work surface or parchment paper. The dough will be sticky at first but should come together with the added flour.
- With well-floured hands, gently form the dough into a ball. *Note, depending on the brand of flour you use, you may need to work more flour into dough in order to roll into a ball . Dust the top of the dough with a tablespoon of flour, and gently roll it out into a rectangle about 7 inches wide.
- Cut the dough horizontally into 3 even sections. Stack each section on top of the other. Firmly press the sections together. Repeat the process by cutting, stacking, and pressing the dough together once more.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/2″ thick.
- Using a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits.*
- Place the biscuits onto a lined baking sheet, cover them with cling film, and place them in the freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Once the dough has chilled, place the biscuits on the baking sheet slightly touching each other.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with extra buttermilk or whisked egg.
- Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes at 425° Fahrenheit. Check their progress at 15-minutes to see if the biscuits are rising and golden. Baking times vary depending on the type of oven being used.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container for later.
- For egg free biscuits skip adding the egg, and mix 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar in with the dry flour batter instead.
- If your flour doesn’t already include xanthan gum, add 1/4 teaspoon vs 1/8 teaspoon.
- Extra flakey Tip! Freeze the butter, and use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the flour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- chill time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Category: breads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 333.9 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 70.6 mg
Keywords: bread, biscuits, gluten free, egg free, vegan, dairy free, kid friendly