Never cook dry chicken again with this Ginger Air Fryer Chicken! Made with simple ingredients, it’s juicy on the inside with crispy skin on the outside for an easy meal the whole family will love. Stovetop Option.
For the Honey Ginger Sauce:
- 1/4 cup onion or shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or 1 teaspoon jarred minced ginger)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3–4 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- Optional: 1-2 Tablespoons water or broth to thin out sauce.
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
For the Air Fryer Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Optional: lemon slices
For the Sauce:
- Make the honey ginger sauce by adding all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisking until smooth. For a thinner sauce, add 1-2 Tablespoons broth or water.
Air Fryer Chicken:
- Place the chicken in a baking dish or ziplock bag, and coat it with the prepared honey ginger sauce. Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375° F. Once preheated, spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil spray and place the chicken skin side down in the basket. This helps render the fat without browning the skin too much.
- Cook for 12 minutes. Rotate the chicken 180°, and turn it skin side up before cooking for 8-10 more minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken (See notes for cooking times if using drumsticks or including veggies). Chicken is done when an internal meat thermometer reads 165° F. For extra crispy skin, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Note: If the outside of your chicken looks burnt, don’t panic! The outside may look burnt, but it’s just charring from the natural sugars from the marinade. The meat inside will still be juicy, and the skin will provide a satisfying crunch!
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer, and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
Stove Top Option:
- Reserve 4 Tablespoons of the honey ginger sauce. Place the chicken in a baking dish or ziplock bag, and coat it with the remaining sauce. Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line or grease an 8×11 (or 9×13) inch casserole dish with cooking oil spray.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear the chicken skin side down for 3-5 minutes or until the skin is golden. Turn the chicken over, and repeat. Add the seared chicken to the casserole dish skin side up.
- Optional Veggies: Using a spatula or wooden utensil, scrape the pan to push the leftover bits of browning to the center. Add the asparagus to the skillet, and toss it in the browning bits for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the casserole dish with the chicken. Brush the reserved marinade over each thigh (using about 1 Tablespoon per thigh). Top them with lemon slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. The skin should be crispy and brown, and the internal temperature will read 165° F when fully cooked. For extra crispy skin, broil at the last minute of cooking.
- Serve with lemon slices and sliced green onions, if desired.
If using drumsticks, pre-heat the air fryer to 375° F, and cook for 18-20 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Check for doneness after 15 minutes total. Spray the asparagus with cooking oil, and add it to the air fryer halfway through the total cooking time of the chicken.
Cooking times and doneness vary depending on the type of air fryer. Check chicken half way through cooking times for progress. Adjust cooking times as needed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 291.2 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
- Cholesterol: 47.3 mg
Keywords: air fryer, chicken, marinade, main, gluten free