Flourless chewy ginger molasses cookies are delicious gluten free holiday cookies, made with real food ingredients! Easy to make, no oils, dairy free, healthy, and delicious!
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar divided) – see notes for substitutes
- 1 cup no stir creamy almond or peanut butter
- 1 large egg (at room temperature works best) – see notes for vegan flax egg option.
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup candied ginger chips (or chopped crystalized ginger)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can also use aa non-stick baking mat. See notes.
- In a large bowl, combine your molasses and almond butter, mix together. Add your egg and coconut sugar and beat with hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the arrowroot starch, spices, and baking soda, mixing until well combined.
- Fold in your ginger chips.
- You can either place the dough in the fridge to harden a bit or immediately Scoop out a large tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, and then place on a cookie sheet. Continue to roll dough into balls until dough is used up, spacing 2 inches a part. The oils from the nut butter might start to drip from the dough, but that shouldn’t be a problem when baking.
- Sprinkle extra sugar on top or roll each ball in a little bit of extra sugar. .
- Bake for 9-11 minutes on silicon mat or 8-10 minutes on regular parchment. Check at 7 minutes in case your oven cooks fast. If you want more chewy, remove cookies at 7-9 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes before place on cookie plate or storing. Store in ziplock bag or airtight container.
- See for vegan option.
- These molasses cookies can be cooked for flat and crispy texture as well. I’ve made them both chewy and crispy . If you want the cookies to be crispy, simply use your hand or flat-bottomed jar to flatten each cookie before baking. Be sure to place the flat cookie dough evenly on cookie sheet with extra space. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let cool 10 minutes before storing.
- For VEGAN ginger molasses cookies, replace the egg with flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2-3 tbsp water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to gel). Add the flax egg where it calls fo egg, just do not over beat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Let it chill in freezer for 5- 10 minutes before rolling into balls. Baking times will vary for vegan option. Closer to 12-14 minutes. Do not touch them until cooled.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: cookies, molasses cookies, flourless, gluten free, dairy free, holiday desserts