Make this easy enchilada recipe with pantry staples! Using cans of chicken, salmon, or chickpeas, create a buffalo spiced meal for dinner tonight!
- 8 ounces boneless canned or cooked chicken (shredded), or other protein of choice (see notes for options)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese or non dairy cheese, divided
- 1 cup hot sauce or wing sauce, divided (plus more for serving)
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced. (Separate white and green parts)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan butter, melted
- 3 tbsp water
- Ten 7-inch corn tortillas or six 10-inch gluten free flour tortillas
- 3–4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Garnishes – cilantro and green onion, optional sliced jalapeno
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or oil a medium casserole dish.
- Place cooked protein of choice (8 ounces) in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese/yogurt, 1 cup of shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of buffalo sauce, white parts of the scallion, jalapeno (optional), paprika, and cumin in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Next, make the buffalo sauce. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Then whisk in the remaining 2/3 cup hot sauce, and 3 tablespoons water. Set aside. Alternatively, butter may be melted in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the tortillas 3 at a time until warm (15-20 seconds). Cover and keep warm between damp paper towels.
- Spoon a portion of the filling mixture down the middle of each tortilla and roll up. Add a 1 tbsp of the buffalo sauce on top, then roll the tortillas up. Place them side by side, seam-side down, in the prepared pan.
- Pour the remaining buffalo sauce mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese and the feta cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 15 to 17 minutes. Remove and garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion.
Protein options – Boneless canned chicken, cooked chicken (shredded), diced cooked chicken sausage, or boneless canned salmon. Vegetarian options include drained canned chickpeas, beans, quinoa, or lentils.
Cheese options – Feta, goat cheese, and cheddar are lower in lactose. Non dairy shredded cheese and cream cheese, and/or vegan butter may be substituted.
- Category: Main
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy enchilada recipe, buffalo chicken, spicy food