This Dill Pesto Potato Wedge Salad makes a great healthy side dish for your next barbecue or gathering! A crunch wedge salad and creamy potato salad all packed into one then tossed a zippy dill pesto sauce. It’s paleo and vegan friendly
For the Dill Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh dill (stems included)
- 1/2 Lemon – juice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Salt/pepper to taste (1/4 tsp each at least)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium shallot, diced (or about 1/4 cup red onion)
- 1/4 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil (to add last)
- purple sweet potato or regular sweet potato, sliced
- 1 lb (2-3 cups) new potatoes or fingerling potatoes, quartered*
- 2 Tbsp broth or water
- ⅓–½ cup dill pesto (see recipe)
- ⅓–½ small cucumber, sliced or shaved
- 1 head Boston lettuce, wedged
- Lemon, sliced
- 2+ Tbsp capers
- microgreens or extra herbs (to garnish)
- Optional toppings: roasted pumpkin seeds, bacon, Parmesan (omit if Paleo/vegan)
For the Dill Pesto (You will have extra to spare or save):
- Place dill (stems included), lemon juice, raw cashews, garlic cloves, onion/shallot, cumin, and mustard, in a food processor. Pulse until mixed.
- Scrape down the sides if needed. Add oil, salt and pepper. Blend again until smooth. Might take a few minutes to get there. Save a few pieces of dill to garnish.
For the Salad:
Slice sweet potato into thin strips. Quarter new potatoes (or fingerling potatoes).
2. Add quartered potatoes and 2 Tbsp broth to microwave-safe dish. Heat 3–4 minutes until tender, but not overcooked. Toss halfway through cooking; check on texture. Alternatively, you can steam your potatoes on the stovetop. See notes
3. Once tender, transfer potatoes to large bowl.
4. Add sweet potato slices to broth in microwave safe bowl steam in microwave 1–2 minutes or until tender. Remove; drain broth.
5. Place sweet potatoes (sliced) in large bowl with new potatoes (quartered). Mix in dill pesto, mix.
6. Slice or shave cucumber. Slice lettuce into wedges. Cut lemon into quarters or slice (for garnishing).
7. Arrange wedge lettuce in large serving bowl.
8. Add dill pesto potato salad on top. Arrange evenly in large bowl.
9. Place cucumber slices between potatoes and salad wedges, spreading them out over the bowl. Brush or spoon extra dill pesto on top of lettuce, potatoes, cucumber, etc. Add lemon, capers, and microgreens and/or extra herbs to garnish.
10. Drizzle with extra olive oil and toppings of choice.
- Keeps well in fridge a few days stored in airtight container. For Paleo/vegan option omit Parmesan and use all sweet potatoes vs. new potatoes.
- Stove top option- Steam potatoes on stove in about one-inch of water or broth, preferably in a fitted steamer basket. Cover pot and steam until potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Removed water/broth once cooked.
Extra pesto and toppings not included in nutritional information.
- Category: side dish, salad
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: wedge salad, healthy potato salad, sweet potato salad, dill pesto