CUMIN ROASTED CHICKPEA CHICKEN BOWLS ARE a gluten free weeknight dinner, packed with wholesome goodness and nutrition!
- 12–15 ounces chicken (3–4 skinless breast or thighs w/skin)
- 1 can chickpeas
- Lemon slices to garnish
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil. Use more oil for thicker Chicken breasts.
- 1 tsp cumin (extra for plating)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher or seal salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot, peeled and quartered or sliced thin
- pinch of paprika (see notes)
- Parsley and crushed red pepper flakes to garnish
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Optional extra pinch of sea salt/pepper to taste once plated (if needed)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Marinate chicken for 20 minutes.
- Clean and wash your chicken breast. Drain the chickpeas and rinse thoroughly. Place both in a large bow.
- Next mix the marinade. Whisk together the oil, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, honey and apple cider vinegar. Pour this over the chicken and chickpeas. Let it marinate in fridge for 10-20 minutes, covered.
- Next place your honey cumin marinated chicken and chickpeas in a baking dish or sheet pan. Leaving the marinade in the bowl.
- Place the sliced shallots around the chicken and chickpeas.
- Drizzle the extra marinade on top of the whole pan, coating evenly.
- Sprinkle with paprika and a pinch more salt and pepper if desired.
- Add a few slices of lemon on and around the chicken, chickpeas, and shallots.
- Roast/Bake 400F for 25 minutes to 28 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Broil last minute to get the honey to caramelize a bit with the chicken/chickpeas
- Remove from oven and slice chicken into thiner strips. Feel free to taste and add more cumin and garlic powder sprinkled on top, if desired.
- Place all in a large serving bowl or plate individually. Leave most the the marinade/oil in the bake pan. Spoon the cumin marinade/oil on top of the chicken (to your liking) once platted or put in large bowl. There will be extra oil left in pan.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, pomegranate seeds, and fresh parsley.
These roasted chickpeas and chicken bowls can be served as is or in a large bowl with the chicken sliced. Feel free to add steamed greens, cooked quinoa, rice, or potatoes when serving.
Omit paprika and red pepper flakes for nightshade free option
- Category: main
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 318mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 24
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: chicken bowls, gluten free, healthy, paleo, chicken