West African peanut stew is a wholesome dairy free and gluten free stew that’s packed with nourishment and warming flavors. This crockpot stew is great over rice and feeds a crowd! Freezer friendly and made with healthy, real food ingredients!
First in the crock pot:
- 3 to 4 cups broth (O-Organic chicken Broth)
- 2 cups chopped spinach fresh or frozen
- 10 oz or 2 large sweet potatoes peeled cubed
- 1 tbsp O Organic Extra Virgin olive oil for browning meat
- 2 c sliced carrots
- 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb pork (lean or loin) – diced or chopped for stew (see notes for other options)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Sauce to blend for crockpot:
- 1 cup garlic tomato sauce and or plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup O Organic Chunky Peanut Butter
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 to 3 tsp smoked paprika (adjust as needed)
- 1 to 2 tbsp or more crushed red chili flakes (the more you add the spicier)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt and pepper each
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add in 2 –3 tsp cayenne here too if you want MORE SPICY. Optional
Toppings and more Spicy goodness:
- Roasted peanuts
- Scotch bonnet peppers (which are extra hot) or other hot peppers of choice (sliced)
- Pinch of cayenne on top or extra crushed red chili flakes
- Extra garlic salt or powder mixed if desired
- Clean and chop your veggies. Place sweet potatoes, carrots, and spinach in crock pot. Add 3-4 cups of your broth. The more broth you add, the thinner it gets. Set on low while you make the rest of the stew.
- Next brown your meat. Place stewed pork meat in frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and your onion Brown for 5 minutes. Reverse 2 tbsp of the oil from the pan.
- Place browned meat and onion and reserve in the crock pot with veggies. Mix together.
- Lastly, blend your sauce. Taste to see if the sauce is seasoned to your liking. Add more salt, pepper, or cayenne if needed. Place all ingredients listed in sauce above (tomato sauce, peanut butter, spices, peeled garlic, ginger, oil, etc.) in food processor or blender. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Mix sauce in with the rest of the crock pot ingredients.
- Sprinkle a little black pepper and cayenne on top after mixing.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 to 5 hrs or high for 3hrs. Check around 2 hrs if cooking on high.
- Once cooked, spoon stew over individual bowls of hot rice.
- Garnish with cilantro, roasted peanuts, more garlic salt if desired, and spicy peppers such as bonnet peppers. If you want more mild, use red peppers or banana peppers for topping.
- This crockpot stew freezes well!
- You can use pork, turkey, or keep this vegetarian/vegan without meat, simply adding in chickpeas.
- Nutrition shown below is for 1 serving, without toppings or rice
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: African
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 451.4mg
- Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Cholesterol: 33.5mg
Keywords: West African peanut stew, crockpot stew, spicy stew