This slow cooker quinoa pilaf with wild rice is a delicious gluten free, vegetarian meal or side dish! A healthy dinner recipe for the holidays!
For the Crock Pot/Slow Cooker:
- 2 golden beets (chopped, sliced) if you don’t have golden beets, then regular beets or squash work too
- 1 shallot or red onion (1/3 cup chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (to be added last)
- 3/4 cup wild rice (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 1/4 cup quinoa ([url] Better Body Foods Quinoa ∞https://www.betterbodyfoods.com/product/organic-quinoa/[/url])
- 2 1/4 to 3 cups broth
- 1/2 to 1 tsp sea salt and pepper (adjust to your taste and sodium content needed)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp dry herb season mix of choice. (I used a[url] Mediterranean Spice Blend ∞http://amzn.to/2esZbOU[/url])
- 3 tbsp orange juice
Ingredients to add after the quinoa pilaf is cooked:
- 1 cup feta crumbles (5oz)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds (roasted or raw)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- extra dried cranberries to mix in if desired.
- 1/2 cup or so of fresh basil or parsley
- Clean, chop, and prep your vegetables. Place vegetables (minus the broccoli), quinoa, wild rice, broth, fresh cranberries, and seasoning in crock pot. Pour your broth and orange juice on top and mix thoroughly.
- Important Note: each slow cooker works differently. If you don’t want your broccoli overcooked, please add it the last half hour of cooking versus at the beginning. If you want it more cooked add the broccoli with the rest of the vegetables at the beginning.
- Place on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or low for 5 hours. Check half way and mix ingredients in pot with spoon. see notes for if pilaf is too dry or too wet halfway through cooking
- Quinoa should be fluffy once done. The wild rice will still be a little al dente.
- Remove and place all contents in a large bowl.
- Mix in the remaining pilaf ingredients: Seeds, feta, dried cranberries, and any extra fresh raw vegetables you might want to use up.
- Add salt, pepper, and any other spices desired and mix again.
- Top with fresh herbs.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge (covered) until ready to serve.
- If there is too much liquid half way through cooking, drain a few tbsp and cook a little longer. If quinoa is soaking up liquid too fast, then add a 1/4 to 3/4 cup more broth.
- If you don’t have cranberries, you can use any other berry. Just don’t slow cook them. Add them fresh afterwards.
- If you don’t have wild rice, brown rice should work. It won’t be the same texture as wild rice though.
- * crockpot cooking times may vary* so keep a close check halfway through suggested cooking time
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: side dish, meatless main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 291.6mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 14.8mg
Keywords: quinoa pilaf, slow cooker quinoa, healthy side dishes