A ham chowder with parsnips and sweet potatoes! This crock pot paleo ham and vegetable soup is a wonderful way to use up your leftover holiday ham! This is a Paleo and Gluten Free Crock Pot recipe.
- 4 parsnips, sliced and tops cut off
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 to 1.5 tsp minced
- 4 basil leaves (stems removed)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups chicken broth (the less broth the thicker)
- 8 ounces diced smoked or honey ham (for Whole 30 omit honey. Leftover holiday ham works great)
- 10 ounces almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp potato starch or tapioca starch for thickening
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce/tamari (if whole 30 or paleo, use a coconut aminos)
- extra salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra herbs, olive, oil, coconut cream, and optional parmesan for topping/garnish.
- Make sure your veggies (parsnips, potato, and onion) are peeled and sliced or chopped.
- Place veggies in crock pot with broth, basil, garlic, olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Cover and place on high for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- After 2 hours, stir in your almond or coconut milk. Blend with an immersion blender until all is pureed and creamy. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a heat proof blender and puree in batches, then transfer back to the slow cooker).
- Add in the rest of your ingredients. Diced leftover Ham, potato starch, tamari/soy sauce, extra salt/pepper to taste, and any other seasoning of choice. Mix again.
- Place on low for another hour. When creamy and fragrant, it’s ready to serve.
- Serve into bowls and drizzle a little olive oil, cream/milk, pepper, herbs, and optional parmesan over each bowl.
- If you are not paleo, feel free to use real cream or half and half.
- This soup will freeze well.
- Any leftover ham will work well with this soup, but I think smoked or maple ham is delish.
- If you don’t have parsnips, carrots or cauliflower will work but will cook faster.
- Nutrition shown is per bowl, made with almond milk.
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 25.9mg
Keywords: ham and vegetable soup, gluten free crock pot recipe, paleo ham chowder, gluten free soup recipe