This Whole30 ham and vegetable soup is full of parsnips, sweet potatoes and other delicious veggies. It’s easy to make in a crock pot and is a wonderful way to use up leftover holiday ham! Gluten free, paleo, and dairy free!
- 4 parsnips, sliced and tops cut off
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, or 1 to 1.5 tsp minced
- 4 basil leaves (stems removed)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock (less broth will give you a thicker soup)
- 8 ounces diced cooked ham (see notes)
- 10 ounces unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp potato starch or tapioca starch for thickening
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce/tamari (if whole 30 or paleo, use a coconut aminos)
- extra salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra herbs, olive, oil, coconut cream, and optional parmesan for topping/garnish.
- Make sure your veggies (parsnips, potato, and onion) are peeled and sliced or chopped.
- Place veggies in crock pot with broth, basil, garlic, olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Cover and place on high for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- After 2 hours, stir in your almond or coconut milk. Blend with an immersion blender until all is pureed and creamy. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a heat proof blender and puree in batches, then transfer back to the slow cooker).
- Add in the rest of your ingredients. Diced leftover Ham, potato starch, tamari/soy sauce, extra salt/pepper to taste, and any other seasoning of choice. Mix again.
- Place on low for another hour. When creamy and fragrant, it’s ready to serve.
- Serve into bowls and drizzle a little olive oil, cream/milk, pepper, herbs, and optional parmesan over each bowl.
- If you are not paleo, feel free to use real cream or half and half.
- If you don’t have parsnips, carrots or cauliflower will work, but will cook faster.
- For Whole30, do not use honey baked ham
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: main
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 25.9mg
Keywords: ham and vegetable soup, Whole30 soup, crock pot vegetable soup, paleo, gluten free, dairy free