These Mayo Free Chicken Salad Sliders make for a quick lunch, appetizer, or easy dinner! Made with wholesome gluten free ingredients, this chicken salad recipe is flavorful, tangy, and protein packed!
For the Shredded Whole Chicken:
- 3–1/2 to 4 pound young whole chicken (thawed) – innards removed from cavity and skin pat dry *See notes for alternative
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon mixed dried herbs (ex. italian blend – oregano, basil, rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of smoked paprika or regular paprika (1/8 tsp)
- 8 ounces vegetable or chicken broth
- Lemon slices to place around the chicken
For the Chicken Salad:
- 2–1/2 to 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken (from crock pot), skin removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt or greek yogurt (dairy free plain yogurt may be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and/or balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons broth from the crockpot, optional
- 5 Gluten free rolls for serving
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage or slaw
For the Crock Pot:
Mix the spices together in a small bowl, set aside. Coat chicken with 1/4 cup olive oil then rub seasoning evenly over chicken.
Place cut lemon slices inside the chicken cavity and the bottom of the crock pot. Place the chicken into the crock pot. Pour the broth on top.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6 hours. Chicken is done when it has an internal temperature of 165F.
Optional – For crispy skin/texture, remove the whole chicken from slow cooker (once cooked). Place chicken on broiling sheet/pan and place under preheated broiler for 2-4 minutes, watching closely as to not burn the chicken. Remove from oven.
Once chicken has cooled, remove skin and remove meat from the bone. Place in a large bowl then use your hands or use 2 forks to shred.
To Make the Chicken Salad:
- Combine 2 1/2 to 3 cups of the shredded chicken with salad ingredients into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Slice and toast the gluten free rolls. Add chopped cabbage on the bottom of each half. Spoon 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp chicken salad on top followed by other half of roll.
Precooked chicken of any kind (grilled, baked, roasted) may be substituted for crockpot whole chicken and method. Just be sure to shred it!
Chicken salad can be prepped ahead of time, up to 2 days. Store salad in airtight container until ready to use.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Mixing Salad & Chill: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: main dish
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slider
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 717.9 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.7 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 24.8 g
- Cholesterol: 55.2 mg
Keywords: chicken, gluten free, slow cooker, crockpot, chicken sandwich, slider, chicken salad