This Lemon Chicken Bake makes an easy one pan meal! A tangy rhubarb marinade caramelizes the chicken. Lemon and crispy Rhubarb shavings to top! Gluten free and Paleo friendly.
For the Chicken Marinade:
1/4 cup creamy balsamic dressing or vinaigrette
1/4 cup tangy BBQ sauce (gluten free)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 -3 rhubarb stalks, shaved/peeled (Keep the shavings for topping)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
For the Lemon Chicken bake and Crispy Rhubarb:
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 5 small thighs)
Olive oil as needed for the skillet and to toss rhubarb shavings
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon lemon garlic seasoning or lemon pepper
1 cup pearled onions
Pinch of tarragon leaves or thyme to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Clean the rhubarb stalks, and trim the ends.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the red skin of the rhubarb to create shavings. (See blog post.) Set the shavings aside.
- Place 2-3 small rhubarb stalks, BBQ sauce, balsamic dressing, maple syrup, and seasonings in a blender. Pulse until creamy.
- Clean and trim the chicken thighs. Set the chicken aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to an oven-safe or cast iron skillet. (A Dutch oven can be used as well.)
- Add the marinade and chicken thighs to the skillet. Squeeze lemon juice on top.
- Bring the marinade to a quick boil. Reduce the heat or turn it off completely when the edges begin to to caramelize on the pan.
- Flip the chicken thighs over, and place lemon slices on top of each thigh.
- Add 1 cup of peeled pearled onions to the skillet. Drizzle them with olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake at 375° F for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, season the rhubarb shavings with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon garlic or lemon pepper, if using.
- Add the shavings to the skillet with the chicken. Bake for 15 minutes, tossing the shavings halfway through. Thinner shavings will cook faster.
- Once the chicken and rhubarb shavings are fully cooked and crispy, remove the skillet from the oven.
- Add more marinade on top of the chicken, and top each thigh with the rhubarb shavings.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with fresh thyme to garnish.
- Serve with pearled onions.
Feel free to add in any other veggies while the chicken is baking, too. Just place them on another pan with olive oil. I used broccolini.
The thicker rhubarb shavings will take longer to get crispy. So, check on them after 10 minutes of baking. If the shavings are thin, they will get crispy in less than 15 minutes.
NUTRITION shown is for one chicken thigh with marinade sauce, onion, and crispy rhubarb.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: main, dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 thigh
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Sodium: 453mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
Keywords: chicken bake, paleo chicken dinner, lemon chicken, one pan meals