Inspired by Hungarian mushroom soup, this creamy vegan mushroom soup is full of flavor and ready in under an hour for a satisfying gluten-free comfort food you’ll love!
- 4 Tablespoons refined avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound (~3-4 cups) Cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- Optional: 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed or 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon hot paprika
- Optional: Pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons arrowroot flour (See notes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, canned and chilled (See notes)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Place butter in a pot and melt, coating the pan.
- Place the onions in the pot, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms, and sauté for an additional 5 minutes until mushrooms are browned and coated in butter. Onions will brown as well.
- Stir in the wine, dill, paprika, tamari sauce, and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the non-dairy milk and arrowroot flour. Pour the flour and milk mixture into the soup, and stir thoroughly to blend. Cover pot, and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley, and solid coconut cream. Mix together, and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Garnish with extra chopped parsley and cracked pepper. Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Once cooled completely, leftover soup can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutes – *Tapioca may be substituted for arrowroot flour, but the texture will vary. Greek yogurt may be substituted for coconut milk, if dairy is well tolerated.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Hungarian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 791.1 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6.9 g
- Cholesterol: 37.3 mg
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, mushroom soup, mushroom soup recipe, comfort food, mushroom, soup, gluten free, vegan, dairy free, vegetarian