Pea soup made with spring peas, artichoke hearts, and avocado is full of fresh flavor and it has a gorgeous color! This soup can be served warm or as a cold soup recipe. Vegan option, and gluten free.
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter for the pan
- 2/3 cup chopped onion or shallot.
- pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups to 2 cups purified water or broth (the more liquid you use, the thinner the soup)
- 12 oz fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts (canned or from jar)
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 garlic clove or 2 tsp minced
- 3–4 fresh basil leaves (extra to garnish)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (7 ounces) or coconut milk/cream
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (reduce for less spicy version)
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Garlic or herb infused oil
- Gluten free cracker crumbs
- Green onions and fresh herb
- OPTIONAL – drizzle of or non dairy cream or creme fraiche.
- Melt butter or oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until onions are fragrant, but not too brown, 5 minutes or so.
- Add pinch of sea salt and water or broth to a saucepan. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Add peas and artichoke and cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, about 2 -3 minutes. Reduce to medium low to low.
- Peel avocado and remove pit.
- Place pea soup mixture in a blender and add in avocado, garlic, basil, yogurt, black pepper, and chili flakes. (see notes for immersion blender option).
- Blend on medium to medium-high for 2-3 minutes until creamy texture is formed.
- Place soup back into pot. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir until combined. Serve warm or allow soup to chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and drizzle with infused oil/and a touch of cream if desired.
- Garnish with cracked pepper, toasted nuts or gluten free seed crackers (crushed), and extra basil.
- Keeps best in fridge (covered and sealed) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Immersion blender may be used if you don’t have blender. Blend onion, water, peas, and artichoke in the pot first. Add the yogurt, avocado, and remaining ingredients, and blend again until creamy.
- Category: soup
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 225 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 13 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cold soup, pea soup, vegan, gluten free, peas, healthy, dairy free, soup