This Easy Mole Sauce uses authentic flavors for a quick, allergy-friendly version of a traditional Mexican recipe perfect to pair with taco, enchiladas, soups, and more! Peanut Free.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (1 teaspoon, minced)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Optional: 1 dried pasilla soaked and /or 2 chipotle peppers in sauce (canned)
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (or stock) – less broth creates a thicker sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (60% – 70%)
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepot, and add the garlic and onion sauteing on medium heat for about 2 minutes or until it is fragrant.
- Add the spices – chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, cloves, and chipotle (optional). Mix them all together, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and add the broth, stirring to combine.
- Carefully, transfer the sauce to a high-speed blender. Or, use an Immersion Blender to blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture back to the pot, and add almond butter, chocolate, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Return the heat to medium-high, and bring the sauce to bubbling before reducing the heat back to low. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thin for your liking, add 1 teaspoon of arrowroot slurry.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: condiment
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 366 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.2 mg
Keywords: mole, mexican, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan