These Chili Garlic Cauliflower “Risotto” Bowls are an easy Paleo/Vegan dish to satisfy that comfort food craving! A healthy comfort food recipe with a spicy sauce.
Chili Garlic Cream Sauce:
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 2 –3 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground
- red chili pepper flakes (1 tsp)
- 2 tbsp chili sauce or paste (or sriacha). See notes
- pinch of pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt salt
- 2 tsp gluten free Tamari or gluten free Worcestershire Sauce for more umami Taste (use coconut aminos for whole30 option)
- 1 –2 tbsp honey or agave (see notes for whole30 option)
- Optional 2 tbsp water or oil to thin out dressing
For the Cauliflower Rice Risotto:
- 14 oz or 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/4 c yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1–2 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2–3 tbsp diced red bell peppers
- 1 small green or banana pepper slices
- 1 bunch basil or thai basil- chopped
- cucumber slices for topping
- 1/4 cup Crushed toasted pumpkin seeds or nuts (Omit for Nut Free option)
- lemon or lime juice
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional cilantro/coriander for garnish or additional herbs/micro greens
- First make the dressing. Simply blend the chili sauce, avocado, pepper, garlic, and, coconut milk. Once blended add in your spices tamari or worcestershire, honey/agave, and ginger. You can thin our the avocado chili sauce by adding in 2-4 tbsp of water or coconut milk, and a little oil.
- Mix until texture is thinner. If you want it sweeter add in more honey or agave.
- Chop leaves and stems off cauliflower. Place all or half at a time in food processor. Pulse until “riced”.
- Remove and set aside in bowl.
- Chop onion and peppers. In a small pan, heat garlic, oil, and onion.
- Saute until fragrant. 1-2 minutes.
- Add in cauliflower risotto rice and red peppers. Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in 1/2 c almond or coconut milk. If you want a creamier salad, add in 2-3 tablespoons more non dairy milk or coconut cream.
- Cook on medium, coating cauliflower rice risotto. Add salt/pepper and dash of lemon juice
- Remove from heat. Place riced cauliflower risotto in large bowl.
- Top with sliced green bell peppers, chili peppers, chopped basil, crushed nuts, slice cucumber.
- Drizzle chili garlic cream sauce over each bowl when serving. there should be extra sauce for other uses. This dish is great as a side or top with protein of choice – tofu, grilled shrimp, chicken, meatballs, or even egg! I love adding in extra greens on top to garnish too!
- If you are looking for to make the paleo chili sauce to whole 30 compliant, Nom Nom Paleo has one on her site.
- Omit honey in the sauce if using as a whole 30 recipe.
- TIPS FOR COLOR of SAUCE – Depending on the type of chili sauce you use, the color can turn out red, green, or orange. I used a sweet chili sauce similar to this brand.
Nutrition below is estimated with full fat coconut milk used in the garlic sauce
- Category: Main
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: asian/american
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: risotto, cauliflower, paleo, vegan, dairy free, cauliflower rice