Make this Thai curried carrot ginger soup with seasonal ingredients in one pot in just over 30 minutes for a creamy vegan for an appetizer or main course!
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or any neutral oil
- 1 cup diced onion or 1 small onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 garlic cloves)
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped (reduce to 12 to 14 ounces for less carrot taste)
- 2 Tablespoons (10–12 grams) fresh minced ginger root
- 3 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (see notes)
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup natural creamy almond butter or cashew butter (see notes)
- 15 oz canned coconut milk or coconut milk lite (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 –4 teaspoons (to taste) Asian chili sauce or sriracha to mix in for extra spice
- Lime juice
- Garnish – fresh basil, Thai basil, mint, crushed cashews or pumpkin seeds
- In a large soup pot, combine the oil, onion, celery and garlic. Saute for 1 minute then cover and continue to cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or just until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the carrots, ginger root, curry paste and mix together. Add the stock then bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the carrots are very tender.
- Mix in the tamari and almond butter until combined.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into a high powered blender, working in batches if necessary, or use an immersion blender in the soup pot.
- Blend the soup until pureed and creamy. Pour the purée back into the pot and add the coconut milk and chili sauce. Cook on low to medium-low until heated through.
- Add a splash of lime juice before serving. Serve hot and garnish with fresh basil or mint.
- Store cooled soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Flavor Tips – Adjust the seasonings, as desired. For more sweetness, add 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or honey. Garnish with crushed black pepper or sea salt, to taste.
Substitute Tips – Peanut butter may be substituted for almond butter. Use less than ¼ cup for less intense peanut butter flavor.
Storage Tips – This soup can be stored in freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Let the soup thaw in the refrigerator overnight before warming.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Thai american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 595.6 mg
- Fat: 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 4.5 mg
Keywords: carrot ginger soup, thai curried carrot soup, vegan soup, easy soup recipe