These naturally sweetened breakfast muffins have NO added sugar because they’re sweetened with dates!
Great for back to school and breakfast on the go. Grain free, paleo, and delicious!
If doubling the batter to make a double batch of breakfast muffins, please read my notes first!
- 11–12 dates, soaked in purified water (optional 1 tablespoon raw honey )
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder – double active
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, naturally refined
- 2 large Eggland’s Cage free brown eggs
- 1/2 cup or handful of chopped nuts or granola
- To make the date paste, soak the dates in purified water for 1 to 2 hours. Discard all of the water except 2 tablespoon (15 ml) after soaking.
- Blend the dates together to create a sticky paste. Feel free to add 1 tbsp honey if you’d like it sweeter. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a muffin pan with liners or make sure the muffin pan is well greased.
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, and stir the ingredients to combine. In a separate, smaller bowl, mix the oil, non dairy milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the sticky date paste and 2 eggs, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop muffin batter into muffin liners (in pan) filling 3/4 full. Repeat until 6-7 muffin liners are filled.
- Sprinkle with topping of choice; gluten free granola, nuts, etc.
- Place muffin pan in oven on center rack and bake at 350F for 23-28 minutes or until batter comes out clean on a toothpick.
- Remove and allow the muffins to cool completely. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Notes for doubling batter – You may double the batter, but the texture and baking times will vary. Do not double the date paste, just add an extra 1/3 cup maple syrup or raw honey with the paste.
- Category: healthy breakfasts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
Keywords: breakfast muffins, paleo muffins, no added sugar, grain free muffins, date paste