Gluten free meatloaf without breadcrumbs smothered in smoky barbecue sauce. It tastes like your mama’s meatloaf but it’s better for you! Paleo meatloaf option.
- Olive oil spray or coconut oil for pan
- 1/2 cup ground flavored gluten free crackers (herbed, sea salt, seedy, cheddar, smokey flavor, etc.) We’ve made this with paleo herbed crackers.
- 1 1/4 pound organic ground chicken, lean turkey, or 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced white or red onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp BBQ seasoning or an everything seasoning of choice – Make sure it’s gluten free and not too high in salt.
- 2/3 cup Naturally Sweetened BBQ sauce or a favorite Honey BBQ sauce (gluten free)
- Balsamic glaze to top (optional). Smoked salt flakes or kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Oil an 8×11 bread pan and set aside.
- Place your gluten free crackers in a food processor to to ground into a panko like texture. You can also finely Crush in a ziplock bag, just be sure it’s enough to thicken the meat/egg batter. Set aside. (see notes)
- In a small bowl or stand mixer, place your ground meat, onion, and egg. Add in your ground crackers and seasonings and mix again until meatloaf batter is evenly combined. If you are using beef, you might need an extra 1-2 tbsp of ground crackers due to fat content of beef.
- Press batter into pan and bake, cover with 1/2 to 2/3 sweet bbq sauce. Save extra sauce to brush on before serving.
- Place meatloaf pan in oven at 400F for about 35 minutes. Check around 35 minutes to see how it’s baking. If edges are browning but inside is not done, then cover and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes. IF the outside is not browning around 35 minutes, continue baking uncovered for 10 more minutes. The beef version might take closer to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Warm 1/4 cup of the leftover BBQ sauce in sauce pan or microwave for 30 seconds. Brush on top, if desired, before serving.
- Drizzle with optional balsamic glaze and pinch of kosher salt or flakes for extra “tanginess”
- If you are using beef that’s higher fat, you might need an extra 1-2 tbsp of ground crackers due to fat content of beef. It also will take longer to cook.
- For Paleo option, use Simple Mills crackers.
Nutrition shown is amount per serving with ground chicken and naturally sweetened BBQ sauce
- Category: main
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 495.3mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 98,4mg
Keywords: barbecue, meatloaf, gluten free meatloaf, meatloaf without breadcrumbs, paleo