- 1 cup black rice (or wild rice if you don’t have black)
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or a combo of lime/lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 –1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 3–4 tbsp chopped green or red onion
- 1 cup cooked then cooled beets (shaved or chopped)
- 1/4 cup shaved carrots
- 6oz Cooked shrimp (cocktail shrimp). We used Sizzlefish Shrimp – boiled for a few minutes in salt/water then drained and cooled.
- ground black pepper
- Optional add ins – Roasted chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, feta, etc!
- Cook rice in a medium saucepan according to package. Wait till water boils, add rice and salt, reduce to heat and simmer until tender, 35-40 minutes. Drain well, rinse, pour into bowl, then let it cool.
- While that’s cooling, whisk together your lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey and then add to oil, whisk again and add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Once you have your beets chopped and the rice is cooled, add the rest of your ingredients into the rice bowl. Pour in dressing and mix well. Add shrimp on top or mix in with the salad and dressing. They will turn a little pink due to beets and berries.
- Place salad in fridge until cooled and ready to serve.
- Feel free to add in more seasoning or dressing. Goes great with crunchy roasted chickpeas mixed in too.
This salad is super easy to make. Great for light meal or side dish.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min