Easy BBQ Baked Rutabaga Chips. Healthy, paleo/vegan friendly.
- 2 large rutabagas or 3 small to medium (about the size of a fist)
- 1–1.5 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil. For crispier chips, use a coconut oil or avocado cooking spray
- 1 tbsp BBQ Spice Seasoning of choice (check ingredients for hidden sugars/gluten)
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- Optional 1/8 ot 1/4 tsp garlic or onion powder
- Fresh cilantro and lemon/lime wedges to serve
- optional toppings – Red pepper flakes. Grated hard cheese (omit for paleo/vegan)
- Dipping sauce options: Paleo ranch dressing, tomato sauce, spicy ketchup, aoili
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash and Cut rutabagas into fine slices. A mandoline slices works best to cut into about 1/4 to 1/2 in thick or slices. The thinner the slices, the faster they will bake.
- In a small bowl or ziplock bag, place all your spices and oils.
- Carefully coat your rutabaga chips in the bowl with oil and spices or in the bag.
- Lay them flat on a cookie sheet and spread evenly. Place in oven.
- If your chips are very thin, be sure to check on them often so they don’t burn. Bake for 25 minutes, turning them half way.
- After 25 minutes, reduce to 350F and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until crispy. Cover if they start to burn on edges.
- Bake longer or shorter for texture to be more or less crispy.
- Remove for oven and let cool.
- Transfer to bowl or plate. Season with extra red pepper flakes or smoked sea salt if desired.
Sodium level depends on what type/brand of seasoning used
- Category: snack, side dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: rutabagas, baked chips, veggie chips, gluten free, paleo, whole30