Veggie steak burgers are a nutrient-rich, plant based burger option. With tangy Asian BBQ sauce, these delicious, gluten free and vegan mushroom burgers are a great meatless option for Father’s Day or summer grilling.
For Veggie Steak Burgers
- 6 tbsp Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce or asian chili sauce of choice (Gluten Free)
- 1 tbsp GF soy sauce (tamari)
- 2 tsp raw sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free BBQ sauce
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, sliced into “steak strip” pieces
- oil for the pan
- 4 Little Northern Bakehouse burger buns
Toppings for Mushroom Burgers (optional)
- hummus or vegan mayo
- sliced bell peppers
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix the Asian chili sauce, ginger, sugar or honey, oil, and tamari together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean the portobello mushroom caps. Remove any discard any stems, then slice the mushroom caps into thin strips.
- Heat olive oil in a large non stick pan over medium to medium high. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the mushroom slices (1/3 of the batch at a time) and saute, flipping while cooking, for about 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are coated in oil and begin to soften. (They will shrink quite a bit.) Continue until you have cooked all the mushrooms.
- Transfer the sauteed mushroom slices to the chili sauce bowl. Toss well to combine.
Assemble the burgers.
- Lightly toast the millet and chia seed buns and then schmear one side with vegan sauce of choice (i.e hummus, vegan mayo, etc.).
- Place lettuce on the bottom bun, followed by 3-5 slices of the marinated mushroom steaks, sesame seeds, sliced bell pepper, and any extra veggies and sauce (from the bowl) on top. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burger
Keywords: veggie steak, vegan steak, vegan mushroom burgers, vegetarian, gluten free, vegan, meatless meals, grilling