These pesto chicken stir fry noodles are dairy free and easy to make in one pan. The Asian Thai basil pesto brings a kick of flavor and a dose of Healthy antioxidants!
For the Asian Basil Pesto: RECIPE HERE or below.
- 1.5 to 2 cups fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 cilantro (stems removed)
- 4 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Optional sweet chili sauce 1 tsp to 2 tsp
- Salt/Pepper to taste
For the Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- 1 Pack (6-8oz) of Rice Noodles (PAD THAI RICE NOODLES work great)
- sea salt or kosher salt (pinch)
- 10–12 ounces of skinless chicken (2 medium chicken breast work best)
- 3–4 tbsp sesame oil (additional tbsp for noodles)
- 2– 3 tbsp tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic or garlic powder
- 2 –3 baby bok choy, sliced in half (length wise). Substitutes- 1/2 to 1 whole regular bok choy 2 cups asian cabbage, chopped (see notes)
- Optional chopped green onion or micro greens to top.
- Chili pepper flakes and crushed nuts for topping
To make the Asian Basil Pesto: RECIPE CLICK HERE or See Below.
- Place your almonds, herbs, garlic, and tamari sauce in a food processor . Blend and pulse again until all is mixed.
- Next add your rice wine vinegar, sugar, and the grated ginger.
Then close the lid, except for the the top hole, and place food processor on low. Slowly add in the sesame oil while food processor is going. Stop and scrape sides if needed. Pulse until smooth.
- Add your optional sweet chili sauce (Asian sauce) for more spice or thinner pesto. Blend again.
- Taste and adjust salt/pepper to taste if needed. This will make almost 2 to 3 cups of pesto. You will only need 1/2 c to 2/3 cup for this recipe. See notes for storage tips..
For the chicken and noodles.
- First cook the noodles according to the package (boil with water and salt for 4-5 minutes) then drain and run under cold water. Place cooked rice noodles in a large bowl. Toss with a few tsp sesame oil. Set aside.
- Next, slice your clean your chicken and slice into 1 to 2 inch thick strips (for stir frying). Place chicken 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, tamari (gluten free soy sauce), and garlic in a large deep frying pan or wok. Stir fry for a few minutes, turning.
- Keep on medium to medium high heat until chicken strips are almost thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Feel free to add in more oil or tamari if needed.
- Next add in your rice noodles and about 1/2 c or more of your asian pesto. Toss all together in skillet until mixture is combined. Add in your sliced boy choy or cabbage and cook covered on medium ow for another 3-4 minutes or until bok choy is cooked through. Alternatively, you can steam your bok choy last in a small pot with 2-3 tbsp water or broth on medium heat. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes until softened. If you are using cabbage or large bok choy, it will take a more minutes to steam or stir fry.
- Serve pesto chicken noodles into individual bowls or together in one layered in one big bowl. Just be sure to toss all together before serving into individual bowls.
- Garnish with chili pepper flakes, onion, micro greens, chopped nuts, and/or seasoning if desired.
- If you don’t have rice wine vinegar for the pesto, try using apple cider vinegar. Taste may vary.
- Baby bok choy is easy to slice and steam. If you can’t find it in the grocer, opt for 2 cups of another cabbage (chopped) or large bok choy equivalent to 2 cups chopped. toss with noodles instead of layer on top as picture shows.
- To store leftover pesto place the remainder in a sealed container in fridge for 5 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
Estimated Nutrition for Chicken and Noodles with 1/2 cup pesto (for 4 servings). To reduce sodium, use low sodium tamari sauce or coconut aminos.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15-20
- Category: pasta
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: asian
- Calories: 420-430
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 700 -800
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 45-48
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 33
Keywords: pesto chicken